Keel Winch Vs. Keel guide on trailer

Apr 20, 2016
Catalina 22 293 Huntington Lake, CA
I loaded Tiger Lilly on the trailer at Huntington lake last week, which appeared to be uneventful and the usual, regular loading with no drama or bloodshed. While stowing the mast, I noticed that the trailer starboard keel guide had been crushed, broken, and pushed out of the way. (Well, for the purpose of loading, out of the way. Launching will be another story.) The boat sat innocently on the trailer, and had nothing to say about the incident, and the fractured redwood wasn't ratting on anyone. A mystery, to be sure, but I have 4 adult children, so I know a cover up when I see one.
Then, while cleaning out the boat, noticed the cable from the winch to the keel was very loose, lots of slack and tangled. I noticed the end of the cable was no longer being held by the u-bolt clamp dealy on the back side of the winch reel. The cable and winch itself appear to be in good spirits, with only minor injury to the twist where the clamp failed. Friction appears to have kept a working bite on the cable sufficient to raise the keel without adequate clamping force. The visible hardware/connections are surprisingly clean and show no obvious signs of wear or deterioration -other than where it slipped the grasp of the clamp. I am not sure if any PO had changed the winch or cable, and I have had her since 2009 or so. I cannot remember changing them, but I forget stuff. ANYWAY, I am wondering how many wraps should be on the winch reel when the keel is down, so I can determine if I need to figure a way to change the cable (and keel hardware) before I put it back in some water. Also suspicious if the damage to the trailer and winch cable are the beginning of a mutiny.

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
Sounds to me like the Keel Winch was trying to make a break for it and the Keel guide resisted and took the brunt of the punishment. If she sits on the trailer straight and level, then you may be able to repair the injured keel guide so that it will resist with more authority next time. It would probably be worth checking the port side guide as well in case the cable tries to sneak out the other side.
Can't speak much about the winch and its attempted escape but, while the boat is on the trailer you may be able to lift the boat enough to ensure it can be replaced. This would avert any chances of a mutiny in the future and ensure a much smoother launch in the spring.
Not a Catalina expert by any means, just like to make sure the ship and trailer are not trying to mutiny. It is hard enough keep the crew and admiral happy.

Fair winds