Keel repair on Pearson 30 Meter

May 16, 2017
Pearson 10 Meter 39 Westport Ma
My recently acquired 10 Meter suffered a damaged keel after breaking its mooring and beaching during a storm last fall.

As luck would have, the keel was damaged during the rescue attempt, not during the original beaching. A more lightly built boat may have not been as lucky. Except for a little beach rash on the topsides, the keel is the only damage sustained.

I have decided to have the boatyard make the repair, but I am hoping this community can guide me in making sure the repair is done effectively.

The broken piece is a fiberglass trailing edge of the keel, not the keel itself. It appears the piece was hung or bolted to the rear of the lead and then fiberglassed in place.

My question, among others, is should a couple of stainless steel straps be added to hold the piece in place, Or will fiberglass and resin be sufficient?

Any other thoughts about the repair would be much appreciated.

pearson keel.jpg

Sep 4, 2007
Hunter 33.5 Elbow, Saskatchwen, Can.
This might be one of the only places to use 5200. It doesn't seem to be load bearing just an extension of the keel.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Are there any pins extending forward into the keel?
I would like to see how they did it originally.
I think I would want to encapsulate the whole thing in FRP. That would tie in the two pieces. Then fill it, fair it, and barrier coat it.
The problem with horizontal straps is that you put something under the fiberglass skin to work it loose along the chord of the keel. Rather than straps, I might use short pins to increase the surface area between the two.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
The Pearson 10M (which I sailed only a few times myself, many, many, years ago) was a very good sailing boat. It was probably the best Pearson performer of its time, in my opinion. There weren't many made.

I wouldn't be changing the aft en of that keel by thickening it. I thought that link to the site above that Sandy posted is very informative! :^)))).