Registered users don't see ads

Keel bolts

Discussion in 'Ask An Oday Owner' started by Voyager1, Nov 11, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Voyager1

Voyager1

Joined Oct 29, 2017
    16 posts, 1 likes
    ODay Voyager 302
    Wing Keel Standard Rig Us Kenosha Kenosha WI
    when my boat was hulled out for the winter I noticed a 1/8 inch or so crack around the keel. I torqued two keel bolts to 250lb, from previous post the recommended torque is 180lb but I only have a torque up to 250lb. The other torque wrench I have goes to 600lb and is a monster to handle and not sure it would fit in the cabin. I did not notice any movement on the bolts. I plan on moving the post that supports the mast to torque the third bold. If the bolts don’t move is it worth grinding out the crack and filling it G/flex or something similar. I am think the crack will come back when the boat is put back in the water. Any thoughts

Attached Files:

2. Voyager1

Voyager1

Joined Oct 29, 2017
    16 posts, 1 likes
    ODay Voyager 302
    Sorry recommendation for torque is 280 not 180

3. kloudie1

kloudie1

Joined Nov 6, 2006
    7,369 posts, 300 likes
    Hunter 34
    US Mandeville Louisiana
    Sounds good.. It looks like it will flex again, so your solution of a small grind-out and then fill with some thickened G/Flex should seal it and allow it to move a little without cracking.. cleanliness of the application site before the epoxy goes in is what could make or break the repair..

4. heritage

heritage

Joined Apr 22, 2011
    388 posts, 37 likes
    Hunter 27
    US Jacksonville

5. The Tanqueray

The Tanqueray

Joined Jul 15, 2014
    51 posts, 3 likes
    Oday 322
    BS Freeport, Bahamas
    I did quite a lot of investigating regards keel issues when I purchased my O'Day 322. It seemed that the layup schedule was changed without any input from the designer after the fraudulent Leveraged Buyout of O'Day took place.
    https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/oday-322-back-story.121123/
    I posted a long series on the keel sump issue. Search "The Tanqueray"and they should come up.
    My guess was that you don't want a boat that was on the production line when the buyout took place.My 322 is Hull number 35 and I think there were about 150 made. My keel sump is close the 3/4 inch. Some of the last ones were 1/4 inch.
    I am not familiar with the 302 but it's possible the same situation holds.

6. Voyager1

Voyager1

Joined Oct 29, 2017
    16 posts, 1 likes
    ODay Voyager 302
    Thanks for the info, looks like my boat was built during that time or right after. Not sure what production time for a boat is but if I am reading my hull number right it was made in Dec of 87. The manufacturer Desination is STR. Must of been after the buyout. How do you check your hull thickness? Do I need to take the keel off.

Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!
20% OFF innovative boat clips!
FixClip holds laundry, tools, anything to rails and life lines even in strong winds.
Leaky Lewmar ports?
Start by replacing lens gaskets in stock now
Mainsail covers
Pre-patterned mainsail covers to fit your boat