Kayak as tender/dinghy?

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I was wondering if anyone has used a kayak as a tender. If so what are the pros and cons vs your typical 8' row dinghy?

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Cons for me: I can't get the Admiral to consider getting in one. Many folks in the San Juans use them. They are usually light and easy to stow. Now you don't have the drag of towing a dink. They are fun to explore local shallows. The quiet operation doesn't disturb sleeping neighbors or wildlife. I think it's a great idea.

Ken

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I'd love to get a kayak. There's a lot of little rivers around here and it'd be great to explore them. Plus it seems like it'd be super convenient way to get out on the water after work. Are they less stable than a typical dinghy when boarding a bigger boat?

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I'd love to get a kayak. There's a lot of little rivers around here and it'd be great to explore them. Plus it seems like it'd be super convenient way to get out on the water after work. Are they less stable than a typical dinghy when boarding a bigger boat?
Yes. Be sure to keep your weight over the middle of a kayak. Some are worse than others.

Ken

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
WeKayak racks.jpg use both. The kayaks most often, and they are great for exploring. A little less stable when boarding the boat but we are in our 70's.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
Kayaks are fun for exploring but I would not want to get in one in rough conditions.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
A kayak is a great toy to have with the boat. But, I would NEVER consider it to be a replacement for a dinghy. You won't be able to get into one from your boat with dry shoes. You won't be able to disembark at a dock. You won't be able to carry anything besides maybe some beach articles. You won't stay dry when paddling. Basically, if you want to wear something other than a swimsuit, you won't be happy.

Sue and I use ours when we are going to the beach. If we want to dine out, we find another way to get to shore because the kayak won't be suitable. YMMV, so buy one and find out for yourself how it works!

Jan 5, 2017
There are times when a dinghy is not just used at anchor, like an emergency or try pushing your bow around a wrapped anchor with a kayak.
The very reason we have both. We have used the dinghy to move Sun Gypsy out of a anchorage when the starter failed and we were miles from a service centre. At least there was wind!

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Kayaks are fun for exploring but I would not want to get in one in rough conditions.
I dunno, depending on the boat and your skill level it might be better to be in a kayak in rough conditions... ;)

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
In my experience, those rubber dams are only marginally effective. Mind you, it is only a minor nuisance. But if you think that you are going to escape getting wet when you are dressed for dinner, forget it. That's just one of the reasons why I say that a kayak doesn't replace a tender. There is no way that you will ever transport anything substantial from shore to boat in a kayak. If you don't need a tender, by all means, you'll be happier with a kayak. Just saying that if you need a tender, the kayak won't work for you in that capacity. For several summers, I swam to my boat on a mooring. A kayak would have been a huge improvement! :biggrin:

Jan 5, 2017
For several summers, I swam to my boat on a mooring. A kayak would have been a huge improvement! :biggrin:
Up here in Eskimo land swimming to the boat is not an option! Getting much gear into a kayak is difficult but I often take the dog ashore in one.