Katrina Lost Boats

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Ehricht

Katrina is the largest storm to ever hit the US. Our 2004 Hunter 33(Anna Belle) was docked at Oak Harbor in Slidell, LA. right accros the lake from New Orleans. You may have seen on National TV the I-10 twin span which was destroyed(worse than Pensacola). This is where Oak harbor is. The eye paassed right over this area. Pictures of the marina before and after can be found at jojamela.us. The devastation is hard to comprehend. The Southern Yacht Club in New Orleans has burned up. At this point, the Anna Belle is lost because the dock where she was moored is gone. At this time we are not allowed back in the area. We know that Anna Belle could have sunk. Also, we have had no information concerning the marinas in Mandeville and Madisonville, LA or the marinas in Mississippi(Gulfport,Longbeach,Pass Christian,Biloxi,etal) We are quite disappointed in the way this disaster is being handled. President Bush toured the area today, so maybe it will get better - We pray that it will. Estimates are that over 10,000 people have lost their lives. The people need to get out NOW! If anyone has any information concering the S/V Anna Belle or the other marinas, we would be grateful to find out what happened. Thanks

abe

Jan 2, 2007
- - channel islands
I am also disappointed at the way things

things are being handled.... blame the mayor for not having an evacaution plan (which he said he had)and incompetent governor for not doing anything 3 days before the storm. Why didn't they use public buses, school buses, rail to get the people who didn't have cars to get them out of harms way. Why didn't the governor call the national guard and have a plan 3 days before the storm hit? Sorry for your loss and my heart goes out to the people of the gulf... but don't potitize and now blame the feds for not responding quick enough when so much more lives coul have been saved with proper leadership from the governor and mayor. abe

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Food for thought...

After the tsunami..9/11..earthquakes in CA, Hugo, Andrew--after every OTHER disaster--and this one too elsewhere on the Gulf coast, survivors have always rolled up their sleeves and "dug in" to help themselves and each other. That has NOT happened in New Orleans. NO ONE still there is lifting a finger to try to help themselves or ANYone else...they've just sat down and waited for help to come to them. Almost all of them are the inner city poor who had no way to get out ahead of the storm on their own, nor was any provided for them. But that's not the worst of it. What we are seeing is the result of generations of people who've been totally dependent on society to support them and care for them for so long that they no longer have a clue about what to do to help themselves OR each other. All they know how to do any more is try to defend what little they still have from those who would take it from them, take anything they can, whether they need it or not...and wait for help. And complain that it doesn't come fast enough. Unfortunately, they are the only ones the media is interested in. They're not even going to Biloxi, Gulfport and half a dozen other small towns that are gone--places where people have lost even more--not only their homes, but their businesses AND their livelihoods, but also places where people DO know how to help each other and themselves--and are doing it. We're not even seeing the "better neighborhoods" and suburbs or New Orleans...only the plight of the helpless. Yes...New Orleans is a tragedy--the worst in our country's history. But there should be a lesson in it too: that total dependency results in total helplesness. There has been a lot--still is, and will continue to be--that the victims of New Orleans could have done to help each other and themselves...and most likely would, IF they knew how. But they don't. And that is an even worse tragedy. One that will be repeated in every city in this country should any type of disaster strike. Ironically, although the helpless poor have lost all they had, they'll be better off than they've prob'ly ever been once they have permanent--or even long-term--homes again...because they haven't lost THEIR livelihoods...their welfare checks will resume, including all the "back pay" that couldn't be delivered...and most likely a hefty "disaster relief" sum too...while the rest of the victims in LA MS and AL--many of whom owned homes and businesses, but had no flood insurance--try to rebuild their lives with little or no help. This was not intended to start a debate...only to share my thoughts. Y'all can have at it...I've now shared 'em and now am done.

abe

Jan 2, 2007
- - channel islands
amen, peggie... you stated what many are thinking

but too afraid to say. abe

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Abe is Absolutly Correct

We were ready to bug out Friday then Saturday the target shifted and word was it could be a 5 when it made land fall they had two days to get folks out before the storm. Even at that the city did not flood for at least another day. I see pictures of school buses in five feet of water why were they not loaded and driven out of the city? One other thought before the storm the city had five murders a day so things are not too far different. I have spent many enjoyable days and nights in New Orleans and really thought it could be one of our greatest cities if it could be cleaned up. There could certainly be an argument made for not trying to rebuild not that I would agree. I think it is time for Marshall Law and a Military Govenor for everything south of I-12. Nagle and Blanco can start looking for another job.

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
You know I can't stay out of this :)

What Peggie has described is what I think may be the biggest weakness of mankind. We are the only species that doesn't obey the survival of the fittest laws. We protect the weak, even to the point of hurting the strong. In normal species the weak are weeded out and that makes the future of the species stronger. It almost seems as if we do the exact opposite and I'm included in this as well.

Jun 2, 2004
Can We Sell or even Give it Back to the French?

Maybe we shouldn't we would end up fighting to save it for them after they surrendered to Mexico, again.

Jun 2, 2004
Can We Sell or even Give it Back to the French?

Maybe we shouldn't. We would then end up fighting for them, again to rescue them after they surrendered to Mexico, again.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
You're right, Franklin...and Rick-that's wonderful! LOL

Compassion is both man's greatest virtue and biggest weakness. From an ecological/environmental perspective it's our species most self destructive trait. It occurred to me after I posted that maybe the first step should be...instead of shipping all the NO victims to TX to become Houston's, Dallas' and San Antonio's problem, put 'em all in barracks housing at closed military bases (they're talking of reopening Ft. Chaffee here to do just that) wherever they can find room for 'em. Then, when the situation in NO is under control and there's plenty of unskilled/semi-skilled work to be done...bring 'em back to do it. Import welfare recipients from elsewhere too. With some instruction and supervision, those who aren't strong enough to do hard manual labor can cook on a chow line, provide child care, elder care...there's plenty of work for the able bodied. And pay 'em to do it instead of just handing out welfare checks. Rebuilding their home themselves just MIGHT give 'em pride in accomplishment for the first time in several generations. About 10% will end up in jail...they would have anyway. But I think people would be amazed at how most of 'em would respond to being paid to accomplish something instead of sitting at home all day wallowing in helplessness. We might even end up with some productive citizens who'll remain self-reliant and proud of it after this job is done.

S

Sanders LaMont

Some amazing comments

I was raised on the Gulf Coast and find some of these comments simply ignorant, and others offensive, and a few right on point. It's really easy to criticize people in desperate straits, and assume they are somehow less worthy than others. I suggest we give them a break, and look to the leaders they depended upon.. What is really needed is more compassion for hurting people, and more information than is currently available. I have not really liked New orleans since I outgrew the need to drink and carouse, but it is a city with many sides to it, and many people, some of them wonderful. I went there after Betsy in 1965, and to Gulfport after Biloxi, so I have seen what these storms can do, and what people did then to help themselves. To assume they are sitting around waiting and doing nothing is absurd. Tell that the the dead people in the streets and homes of New Orleans. Instead of firing the mayor and governor, start a bit higher and dump the people who did not provide adequate levee construction, congresmen?, even though they knew this storm was inevitable and chose not to do anything about it. My personal choice for scapegoat would be the head of FEMA, whose job it is to be prepared for emergencies and deal effectively with them. Now that he reports to the head of Homeland Security, he could be sent packing too. And then there's their boss, who put them into responsible positions, didn't provide them with needed resources, and took four days to figure out we have a problem. And, now back to the subject of boats, which is what this forum is really about. Sanders

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
rebut

"I was raised on the Gulf Coast and find some of these comments simply ignorant" Please...nobody here is ignorant. They just have different viewpoints then yours. "and others offensive" grow some skin because the truth hurts sometimes. "...and assume they are somehow less worthy than others..... and many people, some of them wonderful. " Don't these two statements seem to conflict with each other? "To assume they are sitting around waiting and doing nothing is absurd." We don't assume...we see it. People crying because they are stuck in the attic or on the roof and too lazy to take care of these selves...walk, swim or float to safty. "Tell that the the dead people in the streets and homes of New Orleans." Many drowned because they were too lazy to swim out of the house. "Instead of firing the mayor and governor, start a bit higher" Please....that's like arresting a general because a private shot a citizen. The mayor is responsible for his city and has the capability to handle an evacuation. "...congresmen?, even though they knew this storm was inevitable and chose not to do anything about it." Why should the nation pay for the walls of NO? That should be the responsibility of the city and state at best. "...and took four days to figure out we have a problem." He probably figured the state was able to take care of it and they should have been able to. "And, now back to the subject of boats, which is what this forum is really about. " then why didn't you talk about boats?

J

John G.

Disappointed

It is pretty sad to read some of these pitiful comments. I really thought this Forum was about Hunter boats. Guess not.

H

Hooper Harris

Wow, I never thought of that...

I lived through Betsy in New Orleans in 1965, Camille in '69 and a host of lesser Louisiana, Mississippi, Florida and even Maryland hurricanes for over fourty years. I was never flooded, and the longest I was without power or potable tap water was only two weeks, so maybe I don't have as much experience in hurricanes as some of you. But I gotta tell you, I hope no one on this forum has to live like the folks in New Orleans have this past week. What if you, and everyone you know, had lost their house, their job, had no utilities, no car, no clean and dry clothes, no food, no water, no public transportation, no police and fire protection, and no access to information... What would you do? Just to make sure we understand this... not only do you not have these things, they do not exist in your frame of reference. You do not have them. You know no one who has them. No one you know knows anyone who has them. This isn't about being between jobs, or having to tighten the belt for a few months, this is about having nothing but what you are wearing, and what you are weraing is dirty and wet. Most of us, certainly including me, have no concept of being without to that level. What would you do? What's the good advice? Share with each other? You have nothing. Loot? Other looters will shoot you. Walk out? Even if you could, where would you walk to? Based on what sound information? It's the number one mistake of people in survival situations. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a defeatist. The kid who stole the bus and made a run for Houston is a hero in my eyes; he got 70 folks out who otherwise might not have made it. But to expect everyone to be able to save themselves and others like that seems unreasonable. Heck, if it was easy, they wouldn't call it a disaster. For some, maybe most, sitting down and waiting for help may be the best bet for survival. Maybe that's being a realist. And yes, total dependency does yield total helplessness. But regardless of previous dependency, if you lose your home, have no car, no food, no water, no clean or dry clothes, no place to deficate or urinate, no police or fire protection, and no information, I think you may indeed meet the definition of helpless. I also don't think drowning in an attic is a sign of laziness. It is a sign of desperation. A man doesn't drown in an attic because he lazy. He drowns there because he can go nowhere else when the water comes. Should he have tried to swim out? Maybe, after all, everyone on this forum has has swimmed through a submerged house, right? But a better choice is to have an openable door or window in the attic to escape through. My house in New Orleans had one. An alternative is an axe in the attic. That swimming through the house stuff is for amateurs. I'm not trying to defend the choices made. To be sure, the best choice, and the only choice I would hope to make given these circumstances, is to evacuate the area altogether. Obviously, many did not. Lots of reasons for that, and maybe those will come out in the future for all of us to learn from. But I think it is a little arrogant, while people are likely still dying, to say some of the things written on this thread. I slept in a dry bed last night, my stomach was full, and I had plenty of clean, cool water to drink, so much that I had to get up at 3:00 to pee. I did not hear gunfire through the night, and I did not sleep in a room with a dead body. I wish the same for you. Have a great Labor Day Weekend. -Hooper Harris

Jun 7, 2004
Birch Bay Washington
Genuine compassion is NOT weakness

and not a fault - NOT EVER. We are talking about an unprecedented historical natural disaster. No one can credibly blame the government, the president or any other human entity for what has happened. There are problems there to be sure but why not correct them instead of finding fault at a time like this? Criticism like that is just an excuse for sitting on your own fat ass. Anyone familiar with government will tell you that for one hour of assistance, there will be five hours of paperwork and that will be preceeded by five weeks of discussion. To assume that the victims of this event are on welfare or lazy, unskilled or incompetant is the greatest insult I can conceive. To suggest that rebuilding be done by those on welfare is so ignorant I do not know where to begin to refute it. Take away our food, electricity, homes, clothes, etc. and we all start to look alike in a very short time. I and many others like me are standing by and making plans to go there and lend our assistance and I can assure you that it WILL be meaningful. If anyone here wants to really help, get up and do something positive. "The quality of mercy is not strained, It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven Upon the place beneath: it is twice bless'd; It blesseth him that gives, and him that takes...."

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Patrick, no one has suggested..

That the victims are lazy or incompetent...for the most part they ARE unskilled. "To suggest that rebuilding be done by those on welfare is so ignorant I do not know where to begin to refute it." Really? You might try reading a little of the history of this country...because it's not without precedent. It's exactly what Roosevelt did to help the victims of the Great Depression. He didn't give 'em handouts, he gave 'em JOBS. The CCC, the NRA (not the National Rifle Association), the WPA and several others were ALL gov't funded public works programs...they built roads, dams--including Hoover Dam (orginally known as Boulder Dam). They built and repaired buildings and infrastructure..they built at least half the roads, bridges, dams etc in this country that were built between the mid 1930s and WW II. Before that, there was a similar program to help the veterans of WWI...they also built roads and bridges--including the Overseas Highway in FL and the railroad track that preceded it...and helped to clean up after the hurricane of 1926 just about wiped out the middle Keys. So just exactly WHAT is so "ignorant" about putting victims of Katrina to work helping to rebuild THEIR city now?

Aug 9, 2005
Hunter 28.5 Palm Coast, FL
Excuses, excuses, escuses

I find it interesting home some people only offer excuses...and some people come to the assistance of others in a time of need. This is not a time for rhetoric, but a time for tangible help. How this unfortunate people got to where they are is a topic for the future, right now they are simply fellow human beings in need. I donated a check to the Red Cross and pint of blood. I hope others will follow.

Jun 7, 2004
Birch Bay Washington
Peggy, you implied it and Franklin said it

that the victims are lazy, etc. Public work projects are very different than welfare. You cannot just take some single mom in New Jersey and send her to NO to serve soup to the residents there. What makes you so informed as to the skill level of the victims anyway? On second thought, never mind. No time for this - I have to pack for a few months away.

Jun 2, 2004
Not so Sure They Are Lazy

They just have never been taught to work. They were never given a work ethic to model so they have no work ethic. If they are given the oporitunity to work, well rather if the are required the oporitunity to work a work ethic can be taught to them There are lot's of things they can do right in their own shelter for making sandwiches to watching th kids of those who are making the sandwiches. The Army Recruiter should be out there in the shelters giving thses folks an oporitunity as well.

C

Clyde

Doing what's right. *box

The survivors are surrounded by polluted and putrid water. They haven't heard from any government official for days. There is no one telling them what's happening or what they should do. Some of them are afraid to leave their homes, because they don't know what's out there. When people lose their homes, they feel like they lost a part of their life. It's not just the material things they have, it's their family keepsakes that have been in their family for generations. It’s the memories lost when the family album and other family keepsakes are done forever. The family memorabilia have no real monetary value, but are priceless to the people who have lost them. It's heartbreaking when you see elderly widows clutching everything they own and can carry in garbage bags; including mementos of their late husband. You know that they have no possible use for their late husband's things, except as a memento. All they have left now is memories. It's hard leaving everything behind. The survivors have lost everything and are afraid, angry, and depressed about the future. A lot of them will stay in their flooded homes, not knowing what to do. Others have left all they own behind and are angry, upset, and fearful, not knowing what's going to happen to them. They feel abandon by the government. The survivors are helping each other, I've seen it on the news. Some of the survivors have stayed in the horrendous conditions to rescue their neighbors. Survivors have been using axes to break into the attic of the flooded homes to rescue their neighbors. Others, unfortunately have taken advantage of the situation and started looting. You can't condemn a whole city by the actions of a few or a whole country or even a race; if you do, it's call intolerance. Helping people in a disaster isn't just compassion, it's the right thing to do. I doubt if the prison guards felt any compassion for the prisoners they were guarding as they transferred them out of the flooded jail in New Orleans. These prison guards had homes and family who were now homeless, they could have easily abandon their duties and left the prisoners to drown, but they didn't. Why didn't they leave? Because it wasn't the right thing to do and they have a conscience. The building and construction trade employs highly skilled and highly paid workers. Construction still has needs for the unskilled laborer, but the vast majority of the construction forces are highly skilled. A lot of people not affected by the hurricane will be heading to the disaster area to get the high paying jobs. It takes years in an apprenticeship program before you are considered skilled enough to work as a skilled building and construction trade worker. Some of the unskilled hurricane survivors could enter an apprenticeship program, but there isn't enough room for all of them. Using a lot of unskilled laborers will require a lot of supervision, and cost more in time and money in the long run. In the 1930's large amount of unskilled laborers were used for major construction projects. But those days are long gone, as are the deaths incurred when you employ a large number of unskilled laborers in construction work. We use heavy equipment to build, we don't have people using picks and shovels. We still use unskilled laborers in construction, but we don't have thousands of unskilled people digging a hole, just to employ them like they did in the 1930's. In the past they had labor camps, I've read about them in "The Grapes of Wrath" by John Steinbeck in school. I don't think forcing unskilled people to work in dangerous jobs for the sake of using them as second class citizens because they are poor is tolerated today. Those days are long gone like, race segregation and class distinction based on wealth; we are all Americans. The cost of recovery will affect the whole country, undoubtedly. How the government does it, I have no idea; I'm not that smart. The cost and recovery seem insurmountable at the moment; it will take time and hard work to devise a recovery plan. When Jesus was crucified on the cross, a thief who was also being crucified said that Jesus was being unjustly punished. One of the brigands railed at Jesus, saying, "If you are the Son of God, why do you not save yourself and us?" But when he had reproached Jesus, the other thief, who had many times heard the Master teach, said: "Do you have no fear even of God? Do you not see that we are suffering justly for our deeds, but that this man suffers unjustly? Better that we should seek forgiveness for our sins and salvation for our souls." When Jesus heard the thief say this, he turned his face toward him and smiled approvingly. When the malefactor saw the face of Jesus turned toward him, he mustered up his courage, fanned the flickering flame of his faith, and said, "Lord, remember me when you come into your kingdom." And then Jesus said, "Verily, verily, I say to you today, you shall sometime be with me in Paradise." As Christians, we believe in compassion, redemption, salvation, and doing what's right; its the cornerstone of our faith. I know for certain that a common thief who had compassion has gone to heaven. I don't know if a non-thief who had no compassion has ever gone to heaven. Sorry for the long Off Topic post, I just couldn't let it go when I read some of the posted comments. Fair Winds, Clyde

Status
Not open for further replies.