Kansaki Trans Dip Stick problem

Discussion in 'Engines and Propulsion' started by tom.p.brown, May 12, 2019. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. tom.p.brown

tom.p.brown

Joined Dec 18, 2016
    6 posts, 1 likes
    catalina 270
    US ft lauderdale
    My trans dip stick broke off leaving the threaded piece in the housing. Any methods to get out. I bought and extractor yesterday but it did not ever seat and slowly began to spin. i stopped to avoid dropping any plastic in trans. thanks tom 2003 hunter 306

2. BigEasy

BigEasy

Joined Jun 21, 2004
    1,142 posts, 297 likes
    Beneteau 343
    US Slidell, LA
    Seems that a large enough extractor or "easy out" would do the trick.
    You may also try to cut a slot across the face of the broken end that remains in the tranny and use a very large flat blade screw driver to unscrew it. Also, you may try using a small flat blade screw driver and engaging it on the surface close to the threads and tapping it gently with a hammer to rotate the broken piece counter clockwise. Finally, you might try using contact cement to glue the two broken halves together to retrieve it and replace with a new one immediately. Do not get any of the contact cement anywhere near the threads or you will make the situation worse.

3. Southpaw

Southpaw

Joined Jul 19, 2015
    151 posts, 27 likes
    Beneteau 343
    US BVI
    If the hole is big enough you might get a set of inside pipe wrenches I’ve had luck getting broken off pvc and metal nipples out with them. I think I got my set from Home Depot.

4. Rick

Rick

Joined Oct 5, 2004
    1,030 posts, 17 likes
    Hunter 420 Passage
    US San Diego
    Well when it happened to us, we looked around for some sort of a "Magyver" solution. And er... well, I gently stuck a cork from a wine bottle in and gave a gentle twist. I mean it wasnt a rusted bolt. Damn if it didnt start turning. Then, a half a bottle of wine later, (kidding), the plastic came out. Dont think any got in the tranny, but I figure if any did, its just cork.

Cheers

5. MitchM

MitchM

Joined Jan 20, 2005
    743 posts, 117 likes
    Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32
    US Erie PA
    plastic parts on trans fill tubes are notorious for breaking , i've seen it on yanmars too. be sure to grease any threads on the trans fill cap w/ trans oil and not tighten it too tight. the yanmar cap was a 2 month special order, what a p i a. gorilla tape to the rescue.

6. tom.p.brown

tom.p.brown

Joined Dec 18, 2016
    6 posts, 1 likes
    catalina 270
    US ft lauderdale
    the large blade screwdriver worked well. had the cork ready. thank you all. new stick is in after grease and not too tight. tom

7. Ken13559

Ken13559

Joined Oct 29, 2005
    1,927 posts, 73 likes
    Hunter 326
    SG Singapore
    Has anyone made a metal version of the dip stick? I've gone thru 2-3 pieces of this plastic dip sticks already. Been lucky so far, no parts stuck or dropped into the gear box.

KenY

8. Rick D

Rick D

Joined Jun 14, 2008
    6,703 posts, 217 likes
    Hunter Legend 40.5
    US Long Beach, Shoreline Marina, CA
    As I recall, a Hunter owner in Marina del Rey had some made up that he was selling. Check the Hunter Owners Sailboat site on Facebook and look up Bob Atkins. Check here in Parts too.

9. tom.p.brown

tom.p.brown

Joined Dec 18, 2016
    6 posts, 1 likes
    catalina 270
    US ft lauderdale
  10. seadaddler

seadaddler

Joined Dec 19, 2006
    5,529 posts, 151 likes
    Hunter 36
    US Punta Gorda
    Had one break and got it all out and now just very careful.
    Nick

11. heritage

heritage

Joined Apr 22, 2011
    531 posts, 106 likes
    Hunter 27
    US Cherry Point MCAS

Sail Trim Chart and Guide
When it comes to sailing, as basic as salt and pepper and just as indispensable!
NEW, updated Get Rid of Boat Odors
The bible of marine toilets and plumbing, expanded and updated for 2016!
Teak companionway doors
Amazing artisan quality, custom made to fit your boat.
Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!