JRC 1500 Radar Install

May 24, 2011
Oday 28 Windmill Harbor Hilton Head, SC
Hello, this past weekend while I was installing 2 Interstate GC2-XHD-UTL 6 volt batteries as my new house bank and a friend walked up to chat and offered me a JRC 1500 radar system he had removed from his sport fisher for $100 so I accepted and now am starting to think about the install.

I know the display will be mounted inside the cabin but I am not sure about locating a mast mount or a backstay mout for the scanner unit, any ideas?

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Check out Waltz Manufacturing. A little pricey, but you'll get some ideas.

www.waltzmfg.com

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
I actually have the same unit on one of my boats and I like my display at the helm where I can see it all the time. Out of reach and vision down in the basement. The higher the dome the better, but the install on the mast is more difficult - especially in the case of the boat I have that on, so I opted to use a post on my transom and it works fine. Costs more because you have to fit it out with the post and base, etc., but I also like it because I have another VHF antenna and GPS antenna up there, plus a really cool light which illuminates my cockpit after dark. You can put it on the backstay too, which gets it up higher, but you have the cable running down the cable, which is neither here nor there, I guess.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Mine is on the mast but if it was to do-over again I would use a transom post.

BTW, if you decide to drop the project I'd be interested to buy it as I am having problems with mine and for JRC to service them is way too expensive for a 10 years old unit.

Apr 19, 2011
Hunter 31 Seattle
I have one too. I like mine mounted at the helm. I would not put it in the cabin. You need to be able to adjust the gain and other settings while being able to look at your surroundings. I did this more so in the beginning while I was learning what was just noise and what was actual stuff you didn't want to hit. It still takes some adjusting though each time its used.

great price! I'm lucky enough to live in Seattle next to the jrc shop that supports all of north America and Adam is great. He's been there for like 20 years. I found his support to be awesome. He even gave me a cable from a unit that's not made anymore for free once!

May 24, 2011
Oday 28 Windmill Harbor Hilton Head, SC
Does JRC offer an upgrade to a colored display for this system? think i read somewhere about a model 1800 that was color

Oct 5, 2015
Hunter 33 33 Halifax
I have an option to buy a JRC 1500 Mark 2 Radar system. It is new in the box and has been stored in a heated garage for 6 years. What was the cost of this unit when new? Would $800 be a good price to pay for this?
Any issues with this model I should know about before purchasing?
Has anyone installed on a Hunter Arch vs a Radar Post on Transom?
Thanks,

Oct 5, 2015
Hunter 33 33 Halifax
Thanks ....good information wrt the 1500 model and other options.

Does anyone have an opinion on what the 6 year old radar would be worth taking into consideration it is unused new in the box.
Thanks,

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I know nothing about this specific piece of equipment. I know a fair bit about radar.
You are talking old school analog system. Everything is digital now a days.
Analog systems require adequate power sources and they consume batteries at a high rate when transmitting.
Here is a link with a price on a MKII unit
https://www.boatbandit.com/JRC-RADAR-1500MKII-JRC-1500MKII
Sometimes you learn a bit from reading the manual.
http://pdfstream.manualsonline.com/8/813e69af-15f3-4272-ba13-ddd07f8400bd.pdf
Here is a site that may give you ideas about value.
https://www.usedboatequipment.com/ad-category/electronics/radar-equipment/

Sep 11, 2015
Hunter 31 Marina del Rey
This radar is similar to the Pathfinder generation units. By the way, the magnetron in my radome is manufactured by JRC, so I believe there is a lot of sharing at the component level for these radars.

A couple of things to consider:
1. Even though it is analog, it is still a radar and having one is better than not having one.
2. One benefit of the older units is reduced power consumption. 30W in your case and probably only 10W while in standby mode which is definitely better than a digital Raymarine radar (40W transmit/20W standby). Solid state radar is much better from any point you look at it, especially compared to a 2KW unit.
3. I have had the display unit in the cabin and at the helm. Definitely put it at the helm, no comparison.
4. I think it is better to mount it on the mast but not too high, may be slightly above the first spreaders. Eventually you will upgrade to a modern radar so I suggest you get a quality radar mount. While expensive ($300) it is cheaper than finding and mounting a pole and it also looks better.

Good luck.