Jib size on a Hunter 23.5

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 23.5 Milledgeville , Georgia
I am getting new sails for my 1996 hunter 23.5. The sailmaker quoted me on a 115 jib.My boat runs a 110%. what do you all think? I would never think about going any bigger.

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
My sails are not OEM, but i think they are stock size. I wouldn't want to go bigger. The jib seems easily overpowered when the wind picks up. Ive got a roller, so its easy to reef a few wraps, if need be. I would, on the other hand, like to get a nice big light wind drifter.

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
The difference is only about 5 inches, in the length of the foot, I doubt most people would ever notice the difference, personally I would stick with 110%.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Bob;
You have the B & R rig. The boat came with a 110 jib and adding a larger genoa, you will have difficulty around the swept back spreaders and attachment of the jib sheet lines. The swept back spreaders with no backstay has proven it's ability to hold the mast up over the years. What Hunter did was to build a larger mainsail vs. traditional as the thought a larger main would give more power. I introduced that boat along being involved and raced many boats and won too. It also makes the cockpit less cluttered and easier to get around and much easier when raising or lowering the mast which is critical on a hot day after a good sail taking the boat out and trailering it home. Suggest an A symmetrical spinnaker for lighter airs.