jib overlap bow railing

Nov 22, 2017
catalina capri 22 1222 delaware river
Under certain conditions, my jib overlaps the bow railing creating adverse airflows. How do I correct it?

Thanks.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Put a "pendant" (short piece of strong rope or steel cable) on it. Raises the sail up to where it clears the pulpit. Also helps with forward visibility. :)

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Pendant is the trick. clears the pulpit, and gives you view under edge for oncoming rocks, shoals and other boats. About 12 " of line, or vinyl coated cable will do trick. Notice short piece of pvc to cover turnbuckle on forestay. l
basic rig not tuned.jpg

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Under certain conditions, my jib overlaps the bow railing creating adverse airflows. How do I correct it?

Thanks.
You may have to send your crew forward and "skirt" the jib. This is common procedure on boats with racing type headsails that run low to the deck... a "decksweeper" if you will. If your lifeline attaches at the top of the pulpit, you can relocate in down a bit... as is seen in jacktar's picture. Regarding a pendant, that is a good option as long as your jib is not already "full hoist" i.e. if there's room at the top.
Final comment... I'm not sure what the purpose is for Jacktar's shroud cover on the forestay fitting. Seems to me it would make sail changing a bit more difficult.

Nov 22, 2017
catalina capri 22 1222 delaware river
Gene, Joe, and Jacktar- Thanks for your help. Jacktar, in the photo, I can't tell where the pendant is. Please forgive my ignorance. Can you help further.

Thank you.

Sep 14, 2014
Sorry here is a picture of it from the front, the pvc cover stacks the jib hanks and keeps them from fouling on the turnbuckle Joe. The pendant goes from the forward hole in the stem fitting to the base of the jib sail (the tack).
pvc cover for forestay turnbuckle.jpg

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
.....the pvc cover stacks the jib hanks and keeps them from fouling on the turnbuckle Joe.
I see, interesting. I've never experienced the problem, but I can see the pvc cover as a remedy.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Sorry here is a picture of it from the front, the pvc cover stacks the jib hanks and keeps them from fouling on the turnbuckle Joe. The pendant goes from the forward hole in the stem fitting to the base of the jib sail (the tack). View attachment 153109
A small disk of plastic might do a better job. It keeps the turnbuckle exposed and viable for inspection. I don't sail without giving every major part of the rig a quick once-over. It would drive me nuts to have that covered.

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
A small disk of plastic might do a better job. It keeps the turnbuckle exposed and viable for inspection. I don't sail without giving every major part of the rig a quick once-over. It would drive me nuts to have that covered.
I have similar problem as Jacktar. Jib hanks foul on the turnbuckle; jib won't go up. I hadn't thought of a pvc pipe sleeve, but I did imagine a stopper of some kind. Trouble is my imagination failed to come up with an execution that is as good as the general idea. Do you have any recommendations? How would you affix a small disk of plastic?

Nov 12, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake LBJ
One thought would be to make 2 partial discs (each one about 2/3-3/4 of a circle) and then overlap and screw them together-- this way you don't have to thread a disc on the forestay. I don't know if my explanation makes sense, and I don't know how to do a quick diagram...

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
Perfect sense. If I make the partial discs out of PVC, I can glue them together.

Sep 14, 2014
My sleeve is not fastened at the bottom, just slides down with little slot in end to slip over stem fitting and keep it aligned.Just pull up check out and lower it. Easy peasy. I split the pvc so I could open it easily too, just lift up the cap (un glued) and snip the single zip tie holding it together and it opens up. Since I stay in the slip it avoids lowering the mast to work on anything.