Jib Furler help - Please!

Sep 24, 2016
Hunter Cherubini 30 Cayuga Lake
Me again!
I am faced with a jib furler issue on my 1980 Hunter Cherubini 30. I understand that a furling system requires a head swivel, as to not allow the halyard to turn with the foil (correct?). Most I have seen look like the ones in the diagram below.

Mine, however, appears to have a cable (not the forestay ) running through the foil, up to a block at the top, then down the mast (not quite down to the deck when fully pulled down. I don't have a picture as I can't get up to the top of the mast (needless to say if I could, I would figure it out).

The cable has a slug that pulls the sail slug that the jib head attaches to, up the foil. My assumption is that this cable is actually used to raise the jib, and then secures at the bottom of the mast acting as a halyard. I figure that the foil is able to spin freely of the cable, thus preventing the cable from wrapping.

I am an Engineer, and often not very articulate. When explaining this to my wife and marina neighbors, they all looked at me as if I had 3 heads! LoL. o_O

Any advice?

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I don't have one, but I suspect you have a CDI furler, which has an internal halyard, that is used to hoist the jib. Don't take my word for it, as I have a Harken with traditional swivel at top. But do a web search for CDI furler, and if it looks like yours, I imagine you can download a manual or at least photos of the setup.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The foil for a furler usually runs in the head stay. Are you saying you have a second stay which supports the foil. That might be referred to as a "stay sail" which carries a secondary head sail. It may seem that it has a wire/rope halyard. What was not clear is, "what is the problem?" What kind of advice are you looking a for? A picture of the furler drum and the deck stays fixtures would help and involves no mast climbing. I may have misinterpreted the whole thing and you have a single head stay with a wire halyard. These furlers are usually not capable of reefing but are simple and efficient. What are you looking for?

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
QUOTE="isaksp00, post: 1375439, member: 95888"].........I suspect you have a CDI furler, which has an internal halyard, that is used to hoist the jib.......... .[/QUOTE]
That's what it sounds like........ The CDI originated as a non reefing furling system suitable for small or trailered sailboats. It has evolved to larger applications and many sailors use them for reefing now, but the principle furling mechanism is the same. The internal halyard (built into the foil, rather than part of the rigging) eliminates the need for a halyard swivel. The system does have limitations... but... its simplicity and budget pricing make it a popular choice.

Jul 26, 2016
American Sail 18 MDR
Mine broke one time in Mexico and I had to use a stainless steel anchor swivel for top.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
The diagram that you showed is similar to the Harken furler. Focus on the last page under "deflector" and "restrainer" . http://www.harken.com/furling/
  • Focus on the last page under "deflector" and "restrainer"
  • What the approximate position of the jibs head, the attachment to the swivel fitting, etc. when the jib or other foresails are hoisted.
  • The angles of leads up there , as well as, maintaining the ability to load-up and ease-off the luff of the jib need to such that you don't encourage the wrapping of the halyard around the top of the forestay, etc.

The text is copied below:
You offer a Harken Halyard Deflector as an option. What is a halyard deflector?
The Harken Halyard Deflector prevents the jib halyard and other halyards (such as a spinnaker or additional jib halyards) from wrapping around the foil.

What is the difference between the Harken Halyard Deflector and the Harken Halyard Restrainer?
The Harken Halyard Deflector installs on the stay above the foil system and prevents the jib halyard and other halyards from wrapping around the foil.

The Harken Halyard Restrainer installs on the mast near the top of the foils and keeps the line against the mast. This provides a better angle to the halyard swivel and prevents it from wrapping around the foil. Stainless steel brackets feature hardcoat-anodized aluminum sheaves that accommodate both wire and rope.

Sep 24, 2016
Hunter Cherubini 30 Cayuga Lake
A CDI Furler it is! Thanks for the input, I now have it figured out. I was looking for an answer as to whether or not the wire running inside the Foil was indeed the Halyard, and where it was supposed to be secured..... Now that I know what it is
and where to secure it, I am good to go!