Jib cleats

Sep 1, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Madison,Wi
I've read on this forum that the best replacement for the original jib cleats on my 23.5 Hunter is a Spinlock PXR with the swivel base. My jib sheets are 1/2" and it looks like the largest the Spinlock will take is 10mm which equals 3/8". Is there any problems with downsizing the jib sheets?

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Calgary, Canada
I installed the original Powercleats (PXB0812) about 15 years ago, before the improved PXR line came out. Mine are 8mm to 12mm. Here is a link at random just to show that they exist(ed):

https://www.sailsupply.nl/spinlock-power-cleat-8-12-mm-px-0812-1

I downsized twice, once for these cleats but then again for a whisker pole that I got cheap. I don't know offhand what size I ended up with, but I suppose the sheets could be 3/8". I'd say the only issue with downsizing is what is comfortable on your hands. Mine aren't swivel. I did break one but now I know what angle is too great for these non-swivel cleats. ;-)

I wouldn't be without my powercleats on this boat. I haven't used a winch (or horn cleat) for 15 years.

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
I added the fixed base Spinlocks to my H240 and they are great. I first tried the current PXR model and found that although rated for 3/8" (10mm) line they were too tight and the sheet did not move freely through. I found a pair of the older model (8-12mm) and those were fine with 3/8". That larger size is discontinued and will be hard to find. I would go with 5/16" sheets if you use the PXR, or at least try the 3/8" line before you buy. 1/2" sheets on that boat are way too big. Some previous discussion here:
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/spinlock-powercleat.158315/

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
For the record your boat should have 3/8 jib sheet lines and not 1/2 as instructed to Hunter by me when the boat was being built.

Sep 1, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Madison,Wi
Thanks for the input. I'm really wondering where to go from here. The Spinlock PXR sounds great but using 5/16" rope just really sounds like it would be hard to grip and if the power cleats aren't made anymore they don't sound like an option. All I can say is my first mate (my wife) doesn't like using the original cleats, so the jib doesn't get trimmed as fast as the Captain would like

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I've read on this forum that the best replacement for the original jib cleats on my 23.5 Hunter is a Spinlock PXR with the swivel base. My jib sheets are 1/2" and it looks like the largest the Spinlock will take is 10mm which equals 3/8". Is there any problems with downsizing the jib sheets?
Half inch sheets on a 24 foot boat....are you kidding???? 3/8" max... and that's only because they're easier to hold. If you're not using winches the captive style cleats are okay....with winches ... no way.

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
I would try the new Spinlock PXR's (make sure you can return them) with 3/8" line and see how you like them. They may work fine for your conditions- I sail in light air more than I like, so needed the sheets to run freely.

Sep 1, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Madison,Wi
Thanks again for all the input. Does everyone agree that if I go with the Spinlock PXR that if 3/8" doesn't run freely that 5/16" is to small to get a decent grip?