Is the 26x seaworthy enough to make Bahamas crossing?

Discussion in 'Ask A Macgregor Owner' started by Trialsbikeadam, Jan 1, 2019. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Tom McCormack

Tom McCormack

Joined Dec 6, 2018
    28 posts, 1 likes
    MacGregor 19
    Lahlia US Lake Isabella
    Will Gilmore mentions a larger outboard as a positive for the Mac26x allowing it to make better time in absence of wind. My question is how MUCH better time? I know it is advertised to be able to get up on a plane to 20+ knots. Can it do that in an open rolling ocean with no wind? less than 5knots wind? Or is that on a flat glassy bay or lake? What kind of speed can it make over open ocean with little to no win? I am from Southern California, considering the purchase of the Mac26x to travel (by sail and motor) the 26miles to Catalina Island or Santa Cruz Island. So, I am interested in the question of whether it can power at full speed to Catalina on a calm morning, and make the trip back under sail with winds from 10-25 knots with white caps.

Trialsbikeadam likes this.
  2. Trialsbikeadam

Trialsbikeadam

Joined Jan 1, 2019
    14 posts, 4 likes
    Macgregor 26x
    Monnshadow Us Cincinnati
    Our Mac does 15knts realistically. It could probably be stripped down and with the right conditions get up to 20knts.

Noflex Sewage Treatment
Treat sludge and odor problems in holding tanks.
Leaky Lewmar ports?
Start by replacing lens gaskets in stock now
20% OFF innovative boat clips!
FixClip holds laundry, tools, anything to rails and life lines even in strong winds.
Teak companionway doors
Amazing artisan quality, custom made to fit your boat.
-->