Is he talking about us???

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Here's an article from the latest issue of Epoxyworks published by West System.

https://epoxyworks.com/index.php/online-epoxy-forums/
Clever piece of writing by the author. I'm confused by forum advice, often. The question about using epoxy beneath varnish always confuses me.

There are many forum experts that swear by it. I use epoxy often for an adhesive, but as a coating, I'm just not sure about it's worth vs it's drawbacks (extra sanding, difficult removal).

"Would it hurt if he were to use a penetrating epoxy as a primer, assuming he let it cure for a good 72 hours to make sure all the solvents evaporated, then sanded the surface before applying varnish?" a poster asks.

The 20+ year veteran at Gudgeon replied to no one but us:

No, probably not.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Meriachee
J
I dealt with many new sailors with the same questions and responded in layman’s terms. Later they acquired the knowledge and cexperience. Often we see many here not sure what to do asking questions which many of us try to help including your good advice as well. I have said better to ask questions than not even they sound silly to some of us

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
As a former HS teacher, there are dumb questions but to call someone out on it makes you the dumb ass.
I once had a student (premed) ask if PETE plastic can sometimes leak water because she was at a picnic and noticed little drops of water leaking through her coke bottle.

I kept a straight face and told her “that is a different process and I’ll discuss it with you after class”

Other students in the class were not as mature:)

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I've certainly asked my share of stupid questions. But at the time, I didn't think they were stupid, it's that I didn't understand something simple. So now, I just let people ask whatever question they have and try to answer it through understanding where they are missing some piece of information.

I've found for myself, that sometimes I have to hear something several different ways before I "get it".

dj

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
This year I bought 2 cheap boards for stern pulpit seats. I spread a couple of coats of clear epoxy on them. Sanded the epoxy. Then because epoxy has no UV protection, I layed down 4 coats of varnish on them and screwed them down, exposed to the winter weather. We will see what happens to the project this winter.

B0214183-29B9-4F8D-8FCC-9B7D002CC5BB.jpeg

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
LOL!

This points out one of the great problems with Internet forums. As a Scientist and engineer I was taught in very early on to know the difference between an opinion, a theory and a fact. So many people on forums have no idea what that means, or think the results of some Google search about a topic that they first heard about 15 seconds before is the truth. The perpetuation of bad information will live on forever.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
LOL!

This points out one of the great problems with Internet forums. As a Scientist and engineer I was taught in very early on to know the difference between an opinion, a theory and a fact. So many people on forums have no idea what that means, or think the results of some Google search about a topic that they first heard about 15 seconds before is the truth. The perpetuation of bad information will live on forever.
What was it that Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan said? "You sir are entitled to your own facts, but not your own opinion." ;);)

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 380 Los Angeles
Fact - tomatoes are a fruit , Theory - Tomatoes do not belong in a fruit salad, Opinion - Tomatoes do not make a good Smoothie.:hijack::beer:

Jan 19, 2010
Fact - tomatoes are a fruit , Theory - Tomatoes do not belong in a fruit salad, Opinion - Tomatoes do not make a good Smoothie.:hijack::beer:
Fact - we spend way to much time on this forum, Theory - The original article that started this thread thinks forums like this are a "Technical Disaster".:cool:

Wait! I might have gotten that backwards...:kick:

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Oh... Thank you, thank you, thank you Dave... I like your Opinion.

Jan 19, 2010
Fact: Bloody Marys are not part of the food group "Smoothies".
Opinion: Bloody Marys can be a healthy part of a morning routine.
I like the use of the word "routine" in your opinion.:beer: