Is foam normal?

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Excellent pics, they really show the vastness that space!

Can someone refresh my memory about the starboard side? I seem to recall the lazarette opening to reveal a flat shelf, running all the way forward to the berth, with lockers on the bottom for two-story storage, as it were.
Gene, yup flat all the way to and thru the cabin, and full length cushion included (on our 84), same height from transom to forward bulkhead....that cushion you see under the crib boards is one piece & extends aft, all the way to the transom...no "2 story" storage beneath though.... (70's versions may differ). We keep oft used stuff in that stbd laz, life jkts, safety gear, 1st aid, air horn, xtra fire ext, heaving line, etc. Tool box, crib boards, paddles, stow where shown in the pic, and fenders get the space between....all nicely cushioned!

(that flat continuous space apparently was designed to accommodated the sliding galley, if ordered with one)...

stbd.PNG

Apr 13, 2018
Catalina 22 San Diego
The starboard lazz does have the shelf with an access point to the stern bilge. On the java monkey that access area is foam filled. I'll be removing the "extra" foam during the week. Im painting topsides today.

Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
Mine is an 84 and is built just like Java Monkey's. I believe they came with the cushion if the sliding galley option was not ordered. Mine has the galley, so no room for a cushion, and too tight to be used as a berth anyway. I find the lower portion of the starboard laz to be nearly useless and you have to take everything above it out to access it. Things can also get lost in there and be nearly impossible to retrieve. I really wish the "shelf" (for lack of a better word) ended at the end of the galley, when pushed in, and the remainder was open like the port side. I 'm sure you can tear out all of the foam under the cockpit fairly easily (I would definitely do that), but it will be rather difficult to get all of the foam out of the port locker, and IMO, it's not worth the minimal amount of space you'll gain. Unless it is waterlogged, I would simply epoxy the lid in place and glass over it and call it done.

Apr 13, 2018
Catalina 22 San Diego
The whole stern area below deck is truly cavernous and I can imagine stuff disappearing there never to be found. For me its less about the availabile space and more about good airflow which means dry and less stink. For those prone to cruise their 22s for extended periods I could imagine a sizeable freshwater tank sitting below the forward cockpit.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
FWIW the catalina22.org website, which is run by the Catalina 22 National Sailing Association, currently has their most recent issue of the Mainbrace magazine available for free download. The current issue has a article on foam in C22's.

The organization is a great group, and their "Tech manual" is fantastic.

@EditorC22NSA

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Egg Crate maybe? Only challenge might be distance from the Starboard Laz to the bottom of that hole would be Jordanesque.... but very doable from down below. I'll put a tape on it as soon as the boat comes out of storage.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
So.... if a lazarette monkey likes rum punch does a java monkey like coffee latte?