Interior Remodeling

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
Nice that you have a foot pump for the galley sink. Saves a lot of water over a pressure system.

We use a butane cooktop. Great for coffee, oatmeal, eggs and bacon and can be used in the cockpit on nice days.

Never did hammocks in our C27, I ended up sleeping in the Qberth and the wife on the dinette. The qberth was ok but I would suggest some 12volt fans, we use camping fans and they work great and draw very little off the battery. Can run all night and recharge using a decent solar panel.

You can sleep in the cockpit but the bugs here always precluded that for us. We had a nice companionway and for hatch screen setup. Loved it on the hook as the foredeck hatch act as a nice scoop and give a good breeze.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
Your 'new' boat is adorable! I agree with many others here, live with it for the summer and decide based on your experience after that. In our 27, someone added an additional 12-15 inches of width to the settee that had a piano hinge which allowed it to flip down and out of the way. That way we could sleep two (albeit REALLY REALLY tight) if we wanted. It turned out ok, when we took short trips and we could store our bags under the hinged addition as a bonus and made it feel much more secure when I was the lucky one to be on the outside!! My point is there are lots of things you might consider doing once you live with it a while. Maybe you will decide to just move up in size! There is a HUGE difference between the 27 and 30.

Have fun, its a blast living on your boat and figuring out all the little issues each boat has. Enjoy!!

MaryE

Jun 1, 2017
Catalina 27 San Juan Island
We have a 27 Cat and are trying to figure out how to make a "double bed" out of the settee. Do you have any pictures? or please explain how to do it? Is it always up or can you still use the table? thanks

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Mary,
If you have the "Traditional" interior design, why can't you get a piece of plywood that spans the gap between the two bench seats. You could store it under the V-Berth and pull it out when needed. Get a piece of foam to connect the two bench cushions and your ready for bed.

MaryE

Jun 1, 2017
Catalina 27 San Juan Island
Thanks for your reply. I think the plywood would be way to large to fit into the V berth! I need to go take some measurements. I'm surprised the table which is fastens to the wall doesn't fit in to the bed design.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I am surprised as well. I wonder if it could. The issue would be to have it span the space, and make it stiff enough to handle the weight..

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
Mary, I don't have access to the 27 I described but the piano hinged add on is a good design that could be a great design.
It tucks away right up next to the edge of the settee and opens only when needed. If I were designing one I'd add legs that hinge and Velcro up flat just as the table has in our 30. I'm sure a good designer could make it much better than I'm describing.
Does this help?

Last edited: