Interesting rescue video

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
This shows how a REALLY shoal draft vessel can help in a rescue situation. The coast guard did a fantastic job but I wonder about the wisdom of sending a fully crewed, multi-million dollar, boat into harms way just to rescue a small boat when there is no apparent danger to the people on board. There were a bunch of people just wading around in the water, holding the boat off the rocks, the crew could have just walked away. Then again, if the coast guard didn't go in, there would have been a much bigger mess to clean up later so maybe environmental protection played a role and the CG crew seemed to be in control the entire time so maybe the risk was very low.

Apr 4, 2016
Newport 28 Richardson Marina
AWESOME video, I was in the USCG and never got to play in one of those...

Mar 5, 2012
Hunter 37-cutter Saint Augustine
hope the owner had to pay for the stupidity, sail are up ?? who was the captain. ever hear of an anchor, well I hope they saved the booze.they were drinking. but good practice for coast guard. I like the pirate flag to.duhmazing

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
hope the owner had to pay for the stupidity, sail are up ?? who was the captain. ever hear of an anchor, well I hope they saved the booze.they were drinking. but good practice for coast guard. I like the pirate flag to.duhmazing
They probably weren't charged. At least in the US when the CG does these kinds of rescues, they write them off as training exercises. A couple of years ago I watched as the CCG kept dropping crew members into Lake Ontario to tread water for a 10 minutes until the helicopter came back and "rescued" them. Interesting to watch the exercise. Pulling sailors off the rocks is at least more productive than dropping crew in the water only to come back and pick them up.

It would be interesting to hear the story about how the boat ended up on the rocks.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
He was not the first captain to be blown against a lee shore.
Amazing how much finesse the CG shows in positioning that huge hovercraft. The rear fans seem to be off or low speed while the front jets are facing forward yet they keep it from being blown down wind . Those guys are good.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
He was not the first captain to be blown against a lee shore.
Amazing how much finesse the CG shows in positioning that huge hovercraft. The rear fans seem to be off or low speed while the front jets are facing forward yet they keep it from being blown down wind . Those guys are good.
That too was well done. I thought the same thing how well the captain kept his craft stable while the sailboat was banging around. I am sure weight had a lot to do with it.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
With those big fans, don't see why they didn't simply position the CG boat so it would blow the sailboat the way they wanted it to go.