Insurance Claim

Status
Not open for further replies.

reworb

Apr 22, 2011
Beneteau 311 Ft Myers Beach
I posted this in an older thread however the title of that thread has one believe it is more of an electrical instead of of the posters dissatisfaction with an insurance claim. I also am not happy with the way my claim is being handled so I'm posting my comments here as well. Insurance is one those things that once you find out how the product is it's too late, so I believe claims experience are important information.

I have a Seaworthy Insurance policy that was purchased direct from Seaworthy. However according to the Boat/US website their insurance coverage is underwritten by one of three different carriers depending upon which state you live. One of those companies is Seaworthy Insurance.

My boat was hit by lightning on August 3rd, I called Seaworthy on August 4th the lady I spoke to said an adjuster would contact me within 72 business hours. The adjuster called me on August 6th. He explained the claims procedure and said a surveyor would contact me within 48 hours. The surveyor never contacted me within the time frame so I called the adjuster and within 15 minutes the surveyor called told me he would be out the following Monday or Tuesday. Monday went by no call no show, Tuesday mid morning I received a call that the surveyor was on his way. Upon his arrival I asked what I should turn on and If I should plug the boat to AC power (AC is off as battery charger is shot) he said he did not need either. All he did was take a few pictures including one of a chartplotter that is not damaged he said to send him the repair estimate and left. He did not check anything.

I called the adjuster and asked what the whole point of the surveyor was as he did not check anything nor even have the courtesy to make an appointment, the adjuster basically called me a liar and said the surveyor did more than he did. The adjuster also stated the surveyor may have to come back to verify the damages. I asked why the damage was not checked when he was there and the adjuster again intimated I was not telling truth about what the surveyor did. I also pointed out the claims letter that they sent out was dated the 6th but not mailed until the 9th. I have also been told not to start any repairs, so the boat sits not able to be used as both the alternator and battery charger do not function not to mention the other damages. I have also been told it may take up to a week even to look at the repair estimate. To add insult to injury the surveyor is from the east coast of Florida and the boat is on the west coast of Florida, a several hour drive.

Make of this what you will in my opinion it indicates a pattern of delay in claims processing.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Wow, sorry to hear about your situation.

If it was my boat, I'd get on the telephone with BoatUS headquarters in Virginia right away.

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
Not criticizing you directly Reworb but when it comes to insurance the primary decision factor seems to be price. This is fairly obvious when watching the little lizard and Flo and others. I have used Amica insurance for years because they have great customer service and believe in servicing their clients properly. At one point I used them for auto, home and boat insurance. We no longer own a house and they do not cover live aboards so I only use them for auto now. They are not cheap but when I had a claim, they were a pleasure to deal with.

The boat is currently covered by Panteaneous(sp). I chose them based on world wide coverage and customer service reviews. As it turns out, they were about $500 cheaper than my previous policy with Acadia and the geographic coverage is much better.

Good luck with your claim.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
BoatUS getting a black eye?

I'm votin' with Stu.
I would be all over BoatUS central!

I know that BoatUS has a short list of "approved" surveyors in every market area. I personally know their lead surveyor in my region and we are just lucky that she's one of the best in the NW and probably on the whole left coast.

It's not an excuse or a good reason, but perhaps they are currently having a major problem sourcing surveyors in your geographic area, and you need to expand your search parameter for a qualified surveyor. The person you describe is NOT qualified.
:confused:

BTW, given that some jerk at the insurer's office has already called you a liar, it's also time for you to submit your first-person factual narrative, well stated, complete, with all appropriate spell-checking, to BoatUS by registered mail. Name names, be polite, and complete.

I have BoatUS insurance, and not because it is the cheapest -- it's not.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Regards,
Loren

Sep 6, 2007
Catalina 320 Gulfport, Fl
Speaking of the Lizard and Flo.... I have progressive which was $400 less than Boat US. The response and service I received from Progressive was wonderful when I had a Hard Grounding and bent the rudder. All was covered quickly and professionally, all I had to pay was my deductible.

reworb

Apr 22, 2011
I did not buy this though Boat/US but bought it from a marine insurance broker so as I didn't buy it from Boat/US I never thought to contact them. But as they investigate marine related businesses I will give them a call Monday. Thank you for the suggestion.

This was not a price based buying decision, it was far from the cheapest policy around. I bought it because it is an agreed value policy that has expanded navigation limits and is a "real" marine policy that covers paid delivery crew et. al.

I have a friend who is a local boat broker and he was surprised that they used a surveyor from the east coast of Florida as he personally knows 3 surveyors who do insurance claims for Boat/US in my area. I could understand if I were on an inland lake in Kansas surveyors may be few and far between but Fort Myers/Cape Coral/Naples/Punta Gorda has literally thousand of boats from 10 foot fishing skiffs to 100 ft plus motor yachts. With plenty of marine related services for locals like me and to service the large winter groups of transients from the colder climes.

I was just looking though emails and one of the adjusters excuses for the surveyor not checking the electronics was that he does not know a lot about electronics. Excuse me why would you send a surveyor to a lightning claim who is not familiar with electronics.

I will keep you posted as things develop, insurance is one of those things when you find out how the service is its often times too late, just trying to help others avoid my problem.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Reworb: One Other Factor

...to consider is that the adjuster and surveyor may be buddies, either friends or beyond that and an illicit business arrangement between the two. As I read your report, alarm bells went off; in another life I did claim audits.

Your defense is to find out the top claims person in the organization and write that nice, detailed letter that was mentioned before. BTW, an 'illicit business arrangement" is rare, but a real problem when it exists.

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
I have to add the old adage that we use in my line of work....If it isn't documented then it didn't happen.

Write down everything....Times, Dates, Who, What, When, Where, and why! Log your calls with them.

reworb

Apr 22, 2011
I have to add the old adage that we use in my line of work....If it isn't documented then it didn't happen.

Write down everything....Times, Dates, Who, What, When, Where, and why! Log your calls with them.
Thanks ... I already do. In my prior life I was an Attorney. Not here in Florida but in California

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
What does BoatUS have to do with this; the coverage was was not purchased through Boat US. It is not only the reputation of the insurer that you have to be aware of but also the reputation of the broker/agent. Same insurer perhaps but surely they may pay more attention to BoatUS than to an individual customer. Nobody said life was fair.

reworb

Apr 22, 2011
I am happy to say the insurance has agreed to pay the full amount of the repair estimate less the deductible. They also agreed to keep the claim open until repairs are complete in case more damaged items are discovered during the repairs. Thank you for all your kind words.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
I am happy to say the insurance has agreed to pay the full amount of the repair estimate less the deductible. They also agreed to keep the claim open until repairs are complete in case more damaged items are discovered during the repairs. Thank you for all your kind words.
Good News Indeed!
:)
And good luck on those repairs, which might be extensive.

Cheers,
Loren

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada

I agree, great news.

Help us out here: what did you have to do to get this response (after the OP and our comments)?

reworb

Apr 22, 2011
I sent a detailed letter/email to the adjuster laying out all the facts. I wrote the letter in a very dispassionate manner. I suppose when he read the letter he decided maybe that mistakes had been made and they did the right thing.

One job I had was mostly writing letters so I had a lot of practice. I practiced law for many years so I guess my letters sound like they are from an attorney so sometimes that helps as well.

I was going to get started on the repairs but the company that did the estimate wanted 50% up front even tho the estimate is more than 50% labor. Frankly I'm not comfortable giving anyone 50% up front, and I have to say that applies especially to the marine business. If they would have wanted me to buy the equipment up front I would and probably gone ahead. I went though the estimate line by line and found stuff that did not make sense so I'm going to get more estimates although in the end I will probably just take the boat to the boat yard that handles my major stuff like bottom painting, engine stuff et al.

This boat has been a nightmare from about a week after I bought it (I have posted about my engine troubles in the past) and I guess the fight goes on.

AXEL

Mar 12, 2008
Catalina C30 MKIII WEST ISLIP, NY
Was there any hull damage?
My boat was hit with lighting several years ago. I was lucky it only knocked out some electronics. BoatUS was very prompt with the survey. In addition to replacing the damaged electronics they gave me all new standing rigging and mast wiring. I'd say I only lost about 3 weeks from the day I was hit until I was back on the water.

reworb

Apr 22, 2011
Was there any hull damage?
My boat was hit with lighting several years ago. I was lucky it only knocked out some electronics. BoatUS was very prompt with the survey. In addition to replacing the damaged electronics they gave me all new standing rigging and mast wiring. I'd say I only lost about 3 weeks from the day I was hit until I was back on the water.
The boat was on a boat lift out of the water when it was hit. No one but me has looked at the boat bottom. I don't see any problem with the hull but I am by no means an expert, most likely I am just the opposite. This is another reason why I am going to have the yard I use estimate the boat.

I thought when the insurance company said they were sending out a Surveyor that he was going to do a survey and would tell me and the company what he thought was damaged and to get estimates on those items and if my repair people found more items the surveyor would either have another look or I could get my own survey, and the adjuster and I could hash it out. All the surveyor did was confirm there was lightning strike, and hence my little go around with adjuster. I thought he was there to do a survey not just a confirmation of the incident, had I known I would not have proceeded as I did.

I had previously told the adjuster I was not going to have the boat hauled until their surveyor had seen the boat as the boat was on a lift and not in danger of sinking. I was trying to be a nice guy and save them some money if their surveyor did not see any bottom damage why should they pay money for a haul out if they don't have to. As you know things went sideways at that point and the estimate was sent to the adjuster and surveyor and they agreed to pay based upon an estimate that in some areas is excessive and in other areas deficient.

What angers me the most is I know better. I thought I would try and make the claim as least costly, quick and easy so I could get back to sailing. Clearly that's not going to happen.

A word to the wise if you have an insurance claim do not do as I have done.

AXEL

Mar 12, 2008
Catalina C30 MKIII WEST ISLIP, NY
I think you may have lucked out having your boat on the lift. Lightning will seek a path to ground. Depending on how your boat is grounded it can go thru the keel, or thru hulls, or both. In some cases no damage, in others the boat can sink. In your case it's possible the hit either went thru the lift or much like when a car gets hit, nothing happens. BoatUS did send a boat out to tow me to a local yard of my choice rather than start the engine. My alternator was not charging after the hit and had to be rebuilt.
I had two surveyors look at my boat. One was a friend who works with BoatUS and does electrical surveys. The other was a local guy they sent. The boat was hauled and they both went over it with a fine tooth comb. Lots of photos, notes. Within the week I had a check in hand and BoatUS left the account open in case additional damage was found which in my case it was.
This is how it is supposed to be done and I give BoatUS a five star rating.

reworb

Apr 22, 2011
That was my thought about the lift. The boat was plugged into the AC and it knocked out all of my dock power including to a second boat lift and blew the breakers at the panel. I had to have an electrician come out and restore the dock power before I could even get on the boat.

Your experience with the insurance surveyor was what I thought was going to happen in my case. I'm glad to hear my expectations weren't out of line it was my reality that was out of line.

Status
Not open for further replies.