Installation question regarding Gray portlights.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 30_74-83 Rochester, New York (Lake Ontario)
Ahoy,

I am replacing nine port lights on my 1979 Hunter 30 with new Gray units. My question is: Given the new outer trim ring is not held in place with hardware, what type of adhesive or sealant have members used; Lifeseal, Dolphinite, 4200, butyl tape?

Thanks,
Bob

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
None of those! Use the Dow 795 structural silicone recommended by the manufacturer - both to seal the portlites and to adhere the trim rings. You won't find it at Home Depot or Menard's, and West Marine doesn't even know what it is. When I did this project a couple years ago, I ordered it on line from a company called Mudd Supply.

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
^^^ What Dalliance said!
It was a long time ago, but I think I used a GE product that was equivalent to the Dow 795. Get the silicone recommended from a plastics and glazing supply outlet, not from Home Depot, etc. Its also very important to remove any trace of old silicone from the hull, using acetone, scraper, scrub pads and lots of paper towel or clean rags BEFORE applying any new silicone.

Sep 2, 2011
Hunter 27 Cherubini Alum Creek State Park
In addition to the Dow 795, I used a few screws to add a mechanical advantage.

image.jpeg

I used one of the old rings as a template

tmjb

Mar 13, 2012
Hunter 36C Glen Cove
Just finished four more on mine, now total of six, all with Dow 795. Seems to work fine. Easy to tool. Need to clamp the trim ring in place until the silicone sets up.

I used a full 10oz cartridge for my largest, 818's maybe 3/4 for the smaller 714's I think but that was last year.

Good luck.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
I used C-clamps and blocks of wood to hold the trim rings in place until the silicone set up.

While you have the portlites out, it's a good opportunity the seal all the edges of the plywood core with epoxy to project against future water intrusion.