Installation of Electro Scan

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Norm

I am in the process of installing a new Electro Scan MSD1 with Hold-N-Treat, and a 4-gal brine tank with pump. I will be installing after the macerator pump. I noticed that the hose from the macerator pump is 1" all the way to a 1" brand new discharge sea cock (including a loop). The inputs and outputs on the Electro Scan are 1.5". Is it OK to reduce the output hose from the electro scan to 1" so I won't have to replace the sea cock?

Mar 21, 2004
Hunter 356 Cobb Island, MD
A few questions for you Norm

I did this type of installation with 4 gal salt. What type of boat? Is the toilet manual or electric? How far away is the MSD from the the toilet? Is the macerator after the holding tank? My toilet is a SeaEra from Raritan with macerator built-in. From there I goto a y-valve which will let me switch from the MSD or to the holding tank. I use the MSD all the time and it empties directly overboard thru a 1.5inch thru-hull. I did change the discharge from a 1 to 1.5 inch to insure complete flow. Before the thru-hull I have another y-valve that switches between the MSD and holding tank. This is in case I'm in a no-discharge area and on the Chesapeake Bay there is only location at Herring Bay. The link shows the wonderfull fun I had installing. I just installed the salt tank this winter so no pictures, but I installed it in the wet locker. Jim S/V Java

V

Vic Willman

Hold 'N Treat

Norm, I already answered you privately, but for the others: With a Hold 'N Treat System, this installation becomes atypical to what everybody is familiar with. In the Hold 'N Treat configuration, everything first goes into the holding tank. From the holding tank, a transfer pump (macerator pump) sends measured amounts of the effluent to the electro-scan, where it is macerated again and treated - then sent overboard. So, after the effluent having been twice-macerated (by the transfer pump and again by the treatment system), I see no reason why it hose couldn't be reduced to 1" I.D., rather than the preferred 1 1/2" I.D. The Hold 'N Treat system is microprocessor-controlled, and works a little differently than the standard electro-scan installation. It is intended for boats that go into and out of No Discharge Zones on a fairly regular basis. When in a No Discharge Zone, the system is locked out via a key switch controlled by the captain. While there, it is simply a regular holding tank that is pumped out at dockside when it's full. When you've left the No Discharge Zone, the captain turns on the key switch and the system automatically starts sending measured amounts from the holding tank to the treatment system, where it is macerated, treated and sent overboard. When the tank is empty, the system remains on standby until the tank is full again. It has the capability to treat and discharge 4-6 gallons per hour.

V

Vic Willman

Jim S.

Hi Jim, it's been a while since you and I spoke. Your installation looks pretty good - congratulations! I'm looking at the main battery cable coming to the Lectra/San. How far is the run from the batteries? In the pictures, it looks a little light to me... If you start getting the yellow light come on for no apparent reason, it may be necessary to step up the wire gauge. If that happens, don't rip it out and replace it. Just run a second set of wires of the same gauge from the batteries to the lugs on the side of the treatment unit, both positive and negative. Then simply tape them to each other at regular intervals. It's easier that way, than re-doing the whole thing. Best regards, Vic

Mar 21, 2004
Hunter 356 Cobb Island, MD
Hi Vic

Missed you at Annapolis last year. Can't remember the gauge but it is only about 4-6 ft from the terminals to the lectrsan. I believe the wire is 6awg. That to light? Jim S/V Java

V

Vic Willman

For Jim S.

Hi Jim, For a wire run that short, #6 should be OK.

N

Norm

Electro Scan Installation

Jim, The boat is a DeFever Trawler. I have two toilets; one is a Raritan Atlantis electric the other is a HeadHunter Royal Flush electric. The MSD will be approximately 6 ft from one head and 4 Ft from the other and lower by about a foot. Yes, the macerator is after the holding tank. With the Hold-n-Treat, I intend to run the current 1" line from the macerator to the MSD. I will reduce the 1.5" line at the exit to a 1" line to the loop and the discharge seacock and thru-hull. I would have stayed with the 1.5", but I just 3 weeks ago replaced the previous 1" thru-hull and seacock and don't want to do it again. Raritan feels that this will work ok since the waste will have been macerated twice. I am not comportable with the reducer, I have to add. It has a flat flange inside, instead of a smooth gradual reduction. I was going to install the 4-gal brine tank about 2 ft away and a bit higher, but instructions say it has to be on same level or a bit below. Not sure, with this new revelation, where to put it and have easy access to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.