Inflatable v-berth mattress?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Granville Scott

Does anyone know where I can find an inflatable mattress for a v-berth? Or has anyone tried using a standard full or queen-sized inflatable mattress in their v-berth?

R

richard smith

great idea

I think its a great idea and have been investigating it , to no avail. I have considered trying to find someone to manufacture them. It seems like there would be a market. With the excellent padding and the ability to remove the air and store it , it seems like a great idea

Jun 7, 2004
Birch Bay Washington
Two ideas

First one is to make one yourself using heat seal fabric or glued up inflatable boat fabric and inflatable boat valves. Second idea is to make a sturdy cover that fits the shape and put an inflatable matress inside that. Roll up the corners so that it fits the space inside the cover and to keep that part (the unneeded corners) from inflating.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
what is the point?

What is the point of using an inflatable mattress when there are latex & memory foam mattresses available? It is just a matter of time before an air mattress is going to fail. Memory or Latex is going to last for 20 or more years.

R

Rich

lots of reasons for inflatables

Steve D., since you ask, there are a few good reasons for having inflatable mattresses and cushions instead of foam. Firstly, all of the foams absorb moisture. When you store your foam on board during the winter (or rainy season or whatever you may have) your foam sits there absorbing moisture and then releasing it back into the cabin. I suspect a lot of mold problems in boats are caused by having too many materials on board that hold moisture (carpeting, headliners, unfinished wood, linens, certain paints, etc.) Secondly, inflatables can be deflated for storage and transportation. This is a big plus for racers and people doing repairs who need to clear the decks. Thirdly, inflatables add to the overall buoyancy of the hull when you're in trouble; they constitute usable flotation in an emergency even if they aren't rated as such. That may seem silly to some, but every little bit of added buoyancy matters (I even screw the tops of juice bottles back on tight when I throw them in the trash for that reason...) It's a shame that the aftermarket offers such limited choices for bedding and cushions for boats. I don't know of any company making true air mattresses for berths, but there is a market there for someone...

B

Benny

Sounds like a good idea.

It sounds like a good idea, but for what? Do you roll up the mattress in your bed at home and store it? A good quality air mattress would be more expensive than its foam counterpart.

Status
Not open for further replies.