In case you need it:

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
I had to work up a new drawing from scratch sadly to get my interior cushions off to the upholsterer-- long story, but I inherited foam (cut poorly), good material, and no template.

In order to get a decent quote I had to make it as easy as possible-- my '73 version in case anyone finds it useful: and feel free to PM me I'll send files in any format you please....

c22 cushion dimension.PNG

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2016
Catalina 22 Folsom Lake
Hey @pclarksurf - I think that answers my "what's this plywood for?" question. The seat back dimensions match almost perfectly. Plus I have no seat back cushions. This is my entire inventory:
51815203046__DD7FBA88-62DA-4842-9CB5-3949E8D9F359.JPG

Jul 13, 2015
@Sacto Dave -- yep that 19" stood out-- in my case I have the port aft cover that closes off the bilge -- and that "bulkhead" for lack of a better term has an insert piece of wood -- theoretically the cusion leans up against. The Port forward appears to just lean against the foreward bulkhead.

Aug 18, 2016
Catalina 30 mkII 5917 Muskegon, MI
Thank you and perfect timing as I am starting this same project. I had purchased the ebook from stingy sailor and his cushion didn't dims were off by an inch or two compared to my measurements. Good info pclarksurf

Jul 13, 2015
@Megaro76 -- just a reality check, I too had a good template from another source, but from a different year C22. I found my dimensions to be different enough to warrant my own measurements and drawing.

And again, I have no factory cushion to guide me, so the trusty tape measure and my own eyeball against the boat was my only guide.... your boat may vary ;)

Glad that they may be useful.

May 19, 2016
Catalina 30 Riverside, NJ
I tried doing these myself after reading stingysailor's website blog on his attempt, it looked easy on paper, but proved to be difficult for me; I never really sewed before. I would think making cushions from drawings would be even more difficult. In my case, I had the old cushions and the old coverings in front of me, but some of the cushions make a complex radius. They are turning as they follow the x axis of the boat, but they also turn along the y axis as the boat curves towards the top of the boat. If not taken into account the cushions will stick out over the edges of the seats. i.e. If you only measure the length and width, you may miss the height as it pyramids towards the upper section of the cushion. I hope that makes sense, it's hard to describe. The walls are not straight, they curve.

It's been a year, and I just stuck the new cushion with the rest of the old; The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Good luck,

Snoopy

Aug 18, 2016
Catalina 30 mkII 5917 Muskegon, MI
I tried doing these myself after reading stingysailor's website blog on his attempt, it looked easy on paper, but proved to be difficult for me; I never really sewed before. I would think making cushions from drawings would be even more difficult. In my case, I had the old cushions and the old coverings in front of me, but some of the cushions make a complex radius. They are turning as they follow the x axis of the boat, but they also turn along the y axis as the boat curves towards the top of the boat. If not taken into account the cushions will stick out over the edges of the seats. i.e. If you only measure the length and width, you may miss the height as it pyramids towards the upper section of the cushion. I hope that makes sense, it's hard to describe. The walls are not straight, they curve.

It's been a year, and I just stuck the new cushion with the rest of the old; The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Good luck,

Snoopy
Excellent points and good reminder. I've been watching how to vids on Sailrite to research and ordered up some of their pattern making material...still expecting some challenges but taking it slow of the winter and kinda excited to learn something new.