Imagine if this were your mast!!!

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I was struck by the ground-effect lightening from a tree strike even further away than that camera dude. A web of electricity spread away from the tree about knee high and was on me in a milli-second. Lit me up good, caused total muscle extension and knocked me onto the ground where I belly-crawled to a nearby structure. Standing out in an electrical storm taking You Tube video is a foolish endeavor.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
I always love the alleged "cone of protection that the shrouds and mast are supposed to supply". Lightning goes every where it wants.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
... Standing out in an electrical storm taking You Tube video is a foolish endeavor.
Yeah, Stay out the lightning.
I always love the alleged "cone of protection that the shrouds and mast are supposed to supply". Lightning goes every where it wants.
And the advice to stay clear of anything metal. Really? Like a big friggin' keel under your feet? The mast? The rigging? The wheel/rudder/tiller, engine, chainplates, lifelines , anchor chain ... need I say more.
Cowering and praying would be do better.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
In the original video (I believe this is taken from the original), after the strike you can see the occupant of the cabin open the door and peer out. LOL Bet he was shocked (no pun intended... well, yeah - pun intended).

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
"cone of protection that the shrouds and mast are supposed to supply"
It is real, but not many wooden masts in my marina.
Wood is not a good ground conductor, an thus the tree explosion, as water is instantly vaporized at the top.
Jim...

PS: Not many water towers being exploded where I live.;)

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Although this is not a picture of my boat, this type strike did happened to me in Open Waters.
A first strike off my Port beam at about the distance shown in pict. Within 30 seconds at about 3 times that distance, another strike off the Starboard beam.

th-2.jpeg

Thus proving...

Praying Helps.
Jim...