Identify this boat!

Mar 29, 2016
Cal 21 Sidney, ME
bow.jpg
beam.jpg

I spotted this boat by the side of the road and am intrigued by her shape. I wonder if she has an additional swing keel, or maybe a missing fin keel, given the height of her mast. It appears something crashed down on the foot of the mast while it was in this position on the bow pulpit, resulting in a nasty bend.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
My first thought was a Chrysler 22 or 26, but I don't think so.

Oct 1, 2015
Clark San Juan 30 Blaine WA
Not that big no bow from the forward hatch mine is 30 and there is wa y more deck in front I would say it's about 24 feet or so

Mar 29, 2016
Cal 21 Sidney, ME
Every pic I can find of an O"Day 30 has 4 portholes, while my mystery boat has just the one trapezoidal porthole. O"Day 30s appear tohave a sizeable fixed keel.
I did find a drawing that may explain the mystery boat's keel:
ODay25-Schematics-500.jpg

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
One of the quarter ton racers.. can't place it now.. I wonder if the keel is in the ground in a hole? .. Inverted bucket on mast step? did the mast break a bit above the foot?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Nice find! Its an old IOR race boat from the 70s. I was thinking Santana 30 but the window is wrong. Its WAY bigger that 24 feet long, the thing has a least TEN winches! We used to call these boats 'IOR winch farms'.

It looks like one of its chain plates is attached to the end of the shroud at the bow pulpit... not a good sign.

Mar 29, 2016
Cal 21 Sidney, ME
Jackdaw, what are all the winches for?
  • big one on the rail for the jibsheet?
  • two on the cabin roof for main & jib halyards led to the cockpit?
  • spinnaker halyard?
  • spinnaker pole downhaul?
  • what else?

Mar 29, 2016
Cal 21 Sidney, ME
The IOR rule seems to describe this boat:
The IOR rule encouraged wide short boats with limited stability. A narrow waterline and large beam on deck, combined with a high centre of gravity, meant that crew weight provided a significant proportion of stability at small heel angles, and boats had a relatively low angle of vanishing stability. This developed into the situation about 1977 when the boats winning in most smaller IOR categories (up to the half tonners - about 10m LOA) had all internal ballast, often with an unballasted daggerboard.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Jackdaw, what are all the winches for?
  • big one on the rail for the jibsheet?
  • two on the cabin roof for main & jib halyards led to the cockpit?
  • spinnaker halyard?
  • spinnaker pole downhaul?
  • what else?
It all depends on the boats layout. Depending on the setup, boats can have winches for
headsail sheets
spin sheets
mainsheet
running back stays
halyards
topping lifts

IOR boats had tons of winches because it was 1) before the common practice of lines back to the cockpit via clutches 2) use of BIG crews. The big cans are sheet winches for sure. The rest would be a guess!

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
I would say the mast bend came from what appears to be a chain plate failure, and the mast came down.

Mar 29, 2016
Cal 21 Sidney, ME
Ron,
I think you've nailed it! Thanks!
sailboatdata shows a Seidelmann 24-1 that has the hallmarks of my mystery boat: single trapezoidal porthole, shallow draft keel with daggerboard, continuous gunwale pierced track ( that I don't know the name of).
While I feel sure my mystery boat is closer to 30' or more, sailboatdata lists other, longer Seidelmann boats that lack illustrations.
I believe she's one of those.
I think I've gotta go knock on the door there and discover the story of this boat.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Note the 4 winches on one side and the distinctive long hand hold.. MAking me nutty.. I know I have seen one of these but I can't remember what it is.. Jimshipsky, please get the HIN off the stbd stern so we can have closure here..
We are having a lot of rain today.. flooding pretty widespread and is deep enough to have shut down the I-10 in a couple of places. No problems here but there are a lot of folks who can't say that right now. Raining more than most hurricanes I have seen..