Identify mast

Skagit

Dec 13, 2017
O'day 20 Bonnie lake
IMG_4329.JPG IMG_4330.JPG Hello all I'm very new to owning a small sailboat I bought a 1974 O'day 20ft a week ago. I have never been on or around a sailboat before this and have been going over things on boat it's winter here central Alberta so previous owner never raised mast to show me anything just said all is there. I have come to realize back stay is missing but in looking for one online I see this isn't original mast as 74 should be masthead rig this one is fractional rig and tabernacle is nothing I can find online. I raised mast with rope tied to top of mast to get length of Back stay which is 25ft 11inches can anyone tell me original back stay length overall? The overall of this mast is 22ft 3-1/2inches Any help and information is greatly appreciated.

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
Skagit: Reading your post, I had a few questions. Is there a fitting at the stern of the boat to attach a back stay to? I ask as some fractional rigged boats have no backstays or a backstay used only for shaping the main sail.

Having said that, if there is a shop in your area, having a backstay made up as per your measurements should be not problem.

Cheers

Matt

Skagit

Dec 13, 2017
O'day 20 Bonnie lake
Yes indeed there is a fitting on stern to attach back stay it's off set from centre a few inches I imagine to allow full tiller movement without interference. Also as best as I can tell original back stay would of had plate near bottom to attach lines from rear of boom if anyone know how high up this triangle plate is would help also thanks.

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
That's a topping lift, used to support the bomb when you're not sailing. It would not need to be a plate. You can sewage a a length of wire rope (cable) to the backstay that attaches to the boom with a hook.

Cheers

Matt

scoob

Dec 9, 2016
Sage, Montgomery 17, 15, SageCat and 17 Denver
i don't know the O'day 20 specificically but looking at photos on the www i see no pictures showing a backstay on the boat. as the shrouds are aft of the mast it doesn't need them.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I believe the original mast was supplied by Dwyer Masts. You can find them on the internet and if Bob is around he will advise accordingly. Also you can research the Oday 20 as there is a dedicated section under Sailboatowners. Go to Boat information and pick oday. Then click on the 20 and there are photos. Fancy Free shows there is a backstay and that should be correct as I use to work on Odays as a former but retired dealer. There are no owners manual there so look at the photos.