ideas for finishing the headliner of aft berths c27

Jan 24, 2017
catalina 27 oriental
i just bought a 1977 cat 27, and am VERY new to everything. i've removed anything that wasn't glued down and powerwashed the interior (omg i could have gone my whole life not knowing what a mud dauber nest was, bc just damn!). am rewiring, rebedding stanchions, resealing ports etc etc. and also doing esthetic renovations. after spending time in the aft berths, i don't like the raw headliner areas in there. does anyone have any ideas for finishing them off? i'm thinking some sort of removable headliner so that anything important can be reached as needed, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. photos are looking forward and aft in both berths

Attachments

Jan 24, 2017
Pearson 530 530 San Diego
The are a couple of options.
1. Go to a fabric outlet store and find headliner material. I sprayed glued the headliner on 1/8 inch door skin. I pre-treated the door skin with Smith before gluing the headliner.
2 Second option is to use wood or PVC ceiling material. I also have used 5 1/2 inch PVC ceiling bead board material. It comes in 8 foot length and install with wood battens and silicon. If you prefer 2 1/2 inch slats, it comes in a 4 x 8 ft sheet that you can cut and install the same way as single slats.
3. I have know a few people just fiber glass smooth and paint the overhead. I am not that good with fiber glass.
Cheers!

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Welcome! After a good scrubbing, a couple of coats of good quality paint will make those areas look better and it will be easy to clean. Some builders have covered the raw fiberglass with a heavy duty, commercial grade vinyl wallcover material or a carpet like material. It is difficult to install these because of the compound curves of the boat but it's doable. The problem with the carpet materials is that they will eventually get mold and mildew which is not as easy to clean as a painted surface or vinyl wall covering. If you're really ambitious, you can fabricate removable, light weight panels of wood to access certain areas in the future. A combination of panels and smooth surfaces may be the most visually pleasing while keeping the scope of the project more manageable.

Jan 24, 2017
catalina 27 oriental
so a combo of panels and glued liner and it sounds like vinyl vs some sort of textured/carpet material is the way to go. i will be painting the boat interior and am searching for the right product for that as well. thoughts on that?

Jan 24, 2017
catalina 27 oriental
The are a couple of options.
1. Go to a fabric outlet store and find headliner material. I sprayed glued the headliner on 1/8 inch door skin. I pre-treated the door skin with Smith before gluing the headliner.

what is smith?

Feb 11, 2012
C&C Mega 30 Long Point, Lake Erie
so a combo of panels and glued liner and it sounds like vinyl vs some sort of textured/carpet material is the way to go. i will be painting the boat interior and am searching for the right product for that as well. thoughts on that?
Or this way...PVC strapping adhered with 3M 5200. Perforated headliner then gently stretched and fasted via SS screws and screw caps. Edges shown were pushed into slotted PVC strips and 1/8" nylon line was inserted to hold in place....Works well to have the edges removable to access a good portion of the underside of the deck.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
I was going to recommend fitted panels, wrapped in vinyl and then snapped in place with normal old canvas snaps. Sounds like there are some good alternate ideas being floated here as well.

The one thing I would have against painting back in there is the fact that after you are done you will still see all the bits and wires that are back in there. Some snap in rigid panels would go a long way towards hiding those...

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Don't paint your C-27 interior if you can avoid it. Believe it or not, the glossy gelocated areas of the interior are easier to refurbish and polish than they are to paint. For those areas above the aft quarter berths you have pictured, yes you can paint those and its a good idea to paint them even if you plan to do a covering later. I have a C22, but in the similar area of my boat there is the same type of factory paint that Catalina used. I noticed acetone cleans it up very well and also softens it, then I painted it with Interlux Bilge Coat gloss white. Believe it or not if you buy that paint by the gallon it is cheap compared to even Rustoelum. A nice gloss white will brighten it up and then you can take your time with figuring out and installing the fabric panels.

Jan 24, 2017
catalina 27 oriental
switchingtoglide, ive been studying these pics like crazy. so you glued the strips of pvc, then folded and screwed the vinyl into them. what's that area where it looks like you stapled the vinyl? did you staple one section of vinyl to the pvc strip then tuck/fold the joining vinyl and place the screws?
where did you get the plain and slotted strips? and what size of those?
--i had in my head something similar to this with velcro and i was considering sunbrella, but this is far nicer.[/QUOTE]

Feb 11, 2012
C&C Mega 30 Long Point, Lake Erie
switchingtoglide, ive been studying these pics like crazy. so you glued the strips of pvc, then folded and screwed the vinyl into them. what's that area where it looks like you stapled the vinyl? did you staple one section of vinyl to the pvc strip then tuck/fold the joining vinyl and place the screws?
where did you get the plain and slotted strips? and what size of those?
--i had in my head something similar to this with velcro and i was considering sunbrella, but this is far nicer.
[/QUOTE]
Hi Rebecca...you are correct with assumptions.
The sections that I stapled (with SS staples)...we're going to be covered by a pre-existing fiberglass hardliner, shown in the pic below.
Both the .5"x 1.5" PVC strapping and the slotted PVC were purchased from Home Depot...easy on the pocket book.
The edges that are exposed, I cut thin strips of .020" PVC, about .5" wide buy whatever length necessary, and folded them into the liner for an ice rigid finished edge then screwed .5" SS srews, including the little plastic bases to snap the screw caps to. Also from Home Depot. these unfortunately weren't cheap, so I purchased them in bulk with an Amazon order.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2017
catalina 27 oriental
]
i've been searching slotted pvc etc and cant come up with anything that looks like that. what is the original purpose of it? and is the strapping a type of molding? thanks in advance and sorry to pester you about this but that really is an amazing job.
--and btw you guys are killing me with these refurbs. they're making mine look bad before i've even really started :)

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2017
catalina 27 oriental
ok, thanks....yeah i saw that too. and the strips you used to attach the fabric to? is it exterior moulding?

Jan 24, 2017
catalina 27 oriental
i love you man. thanks!!!
will post pics as i go. i have plenty of "before" pics now. i took all the wood off and have, GASP, painted it. i suck at painting (and hate sanding) so i'm humbled in the presence of you guys who can do all that beautiful woodwork.