I would not want to be out in the North Atlantic today

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I love that app

I have it on my phone and if I put my finger on a spot and hold it... it brings up a lot of very specific details about that specific spot.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
At least the wind is blowing west to east. Less fetch to build really big waves.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
some people light the bunny hill, some like the black diamonds. most in between somewhere. the cutty sark wanted such. i sailed to Bermuda in december 15 years ago. full gail, 45 knts continuously, the whole way. i loved it as did the 2 other watch captains. 3 on/ 6 off. the cook never got off the deck in the head while hugging the mast base. was on a little harbor 54 in A1 condition. cutter rig. electric every thing. wing on wing, 1/3 main out. boom locked in place, 1/2 inner jib out out with running pole out to lock in place. hand driven only. way beyond auto pilot just for safety driving the waves. full harness tied into the helm. all three of us were at one time professional helmsmen. it was 33 and pouring rain when we left the fuel island at newport
rolled the coast out of newport down to the carolinas the wind shifted and we dog legged to the island, once in the stream the winter cold was gone. 3 1/2 days dock to dock. spent a week a the dinghy club. then headed towards the verde islands till we caught the trades then turned and went to antigua, english harbor, 9 days. north atlantic in the winter time is legendary. the little harbor was a total joy to drive. never skipped a beat, stalled or choked. the cook will tell you a different story. she never prresented even one meal.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
A following sea at right angles to the 4 knot current? There are better conditions, but it could also be worse. Like a 45 knot wind directly opposing the current.
We crossed in 4 days of a hard beat on a port tack in a Shannon 50 from Newport. Rained the whole way. Hurricane Andrew passed between Bermuda and Cape Hatteras as it down graded to a tropical storm, right after we arrived. 1986 maybe? There was a young woman at the marina in Georgetown who couldn't have been older than 25 in a boat about that many feet sailing around the world single handed. I didn't get to talk to her but she looked happy, not beat up.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
on the bus to georgetown i met this Swedish gal ..... oh, that's not a sailing story
It sure starts like a sailing story. ;)
"GOOOT a whale of a tale to tell ya lads, a whale of a tale or two. 'Bout the flappin' fish and the girls I've loved on a night like this with the moon above. A whale of a tale and it's all true... I swear by my tattoo.":dancing:

- Will (Dragonfly)