I think it's a hull number. What do you think?

Jan 25, 2017
Macgregor V222 Kentucky Lake
In the process of finishing up the boat this past weekend, I found the following numbrer (I think) tapped into the fiberglass below the starboard berth, right behind the companionway bulk head:

unnamed.jpg

I've heard they use to tap the hull number in with a pick on the assemble line. So, what number is it? I say an upside down 37. Has anyone seen these or have experience reading old V222 hull numbers. The PO basically made up a year and HID for the title... it says it's a 79 with a series of numbers that make no sense. I know it's a pre 73 because it uses plywood bunks. Any help would be appriciated.

Jun 25, 2016
Venture 21 Minter Bay
Maybe some bored passenger on a long trip carving their initials?:) Seems like an odd location for HID...most Mac boats were on the upper starboard transom...or supposedly on the hull support under the cockpit. I've not found a HID on my V21!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I don't know if it is a Hull Number but I would say it is the number '31'. The flattened top of the '3' gives its orientation, so the three dots on the bottom left is the base of a '1'.

The bunk is a really odd place and it was punched from the other side. That is a clue as to when in the construction process it was done. The hull was already done and interior parts were partially installed or it was stamped before the bunk went into the hull.

Doesn't seem likely to be the hull number.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 25, 2016
Venture 21 Minter Bay
That location below the companionway and on the support for the quarter birthr is one of the locations typically shared for the location of the HID...and drilling the numbers as a series of holes to form dots is also something I've heard was done. Could it be they were drilled from the other side before the plywood berth was installed (assuming this vintage V222 is like my V21 which seems to be without a tangible HID)?

Sep 25, 2008
1970 Venture by Macgregor 21 Clayton, NC
On my 1970 Venture (Pre MacGregor name) the hull number is drilled in to the stringer as you described. It is written so that it is read from right to left, relative to the hull.
From the image below it looks like your hull number would be 31 or 13 depending its orientation relative to the Hull.
If so this means depending on your deck configuration, the boat was probably made between 1970/1971 and when the hull numbers became mandatory which I believe was 1972 or 73 With that low of number it was probably built in 1971 or early 1972
upload_2018-8-14_20-4-53.png

Production years
Venture 22 G 1970 1971 No pop-top
Venture 2-22 1971 1982 Pop-top

Jun 25, 2016
Venture 21 Minter Bay
Knuttle, when you indicate it is on a starboard stringer, that's what I referred to as a hull support that run stern to bow, right? I am a bit confused by how you suggest the numbers be read right to left...so, if I were laying on the starboard berth with my head under the cockpit seat, I shiuld be able to read the number in its normal orientation, right?

My guess is the 31 shown in reverse in the photo is being read from the other side of the stringer, looking from along the center line of the hull...

Oddly, my 'supposedly' 1974 V21 (#712 according to the title) doesn't seem to have a HIN there, or on the starboard transom...

Cheers!

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
We had '72 222. Can't remember hull #, I can't remember what I had for breakfast. :(Will dig around in archives to see if I can find it. Stringer on Starboard side under cockpit. They drilled holes to indicate hull #. Don't think it would be upside down? Looks like someone glass over the area? Do you have original Mainsail. If so Sail # is the same as hull #. Keep us posted.

Sep 25, 2008
1970 Venture by Macgregor 21 Clayton, NC
The starboard (right side when looking at the bow ) stringer is the hull support that run stern to bow

I find it easier to read if you crawl head first into the bunk on the opposite side of the boat and look under the cockpit to read the number.

Jan 25, 2017
Macgregor V222 Kentucky Lake
This is the only number I can find anywhere. Based on the amount of time I spent and the number of things that went wrong... I'm going to say it's a 13! lol.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Todd, did you ever check to see if there is a number on the main sail?