I just now, got the bug to start sailing.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Words that describe what sailing is to me, are difficult to put together. This sales video didn't sell me the boat, but the footage, right off, had me feel this beautiful, well balanced old boat, under sail.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@TomY that sales video draws one into the feel of the boat on the water. It is beautiful. Would almost make me want to sail a boat with all that brightwork. But I'd have to quit working and spend the winters varnishing. I'd need a boat shed that could handle a 52 footer and a dock space that has 8 ft 5 in of depth at spring tides.

So if I win the lottery....

But I can always dream.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Beautiful. But a little outside of my price range and my marina can only handle a boat up to 40 feet.

Life's too short to sail ugly boats.

Dave

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Words that describe what sailing is to me, are difficult to put together.
Yes sir, those words are rare. I went to Ithaca yesterday to inspect my ole girl and she has weathered well through the winter. Had a chance to meet @Mohawk Jack and his lovely wife as well. They were already slipped, working the rigging, scrubbing decks, celebrating a wedding anniversary....and my launch date isn’t until the 24th of May. I was a bit jealous, but usually dwell behind the curve of flurried Marina activity. Regardless, today (Sunday) I put “Captain Ron” on the Roku, following purchase of an 18 pack of Labatts Blue...and now the bug has sunk its fangs deeply into my sailing flesh. Look out Cayuga Lake, the scofflaws are coming.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
varnish on a sailboat is similar to playing chess. it takes a skill to play the game, only very smart people play it well. winning the game causes great delight. its a game that can last a life time. it's not a game for all. it attracts the most beautiful woman.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
varnish on a sailboat is similar to playing chess. it takes a skill to play the game, only very smart people play it well. winning the game causes great delight. its a game that can last a life time. it's not a game for all. it attracts the most beautiful woman.
That is well said, Jon. I don't ever recommend varnish, if someone asks 'what best to put on,...'. The varnish system is simple but if done improperly, it only makes those people angry (and takes them longer to do).

There are better coatings to protect wood on a boat if you don't have the skills required for varnish. The better ones don't save much time over varnish (the complete system), but are easier to apply.

If it's an instant coating, that's about how long it will protect the wood.

About your last line: "it attracts the most beautiful woman." Gleaming varnish attracts both genders (sells boats, ask a broker). Design elements, lovely sheers, low freeboard, graceful overhangs, never go away in sailboat design, and wood will used in boat design, forever. Also, a lot of varnishers are women.

Not just in the trades, but in the boatyard too. It seems for couples that maintain their own boat, as often as not, she does the brightwork.

Plus, if you pay someone to do your brightwork, you still have to know the system. If you don't, the yard will have to educate you so you understand why various tasks have to be performed (and you have to write the check).

May 25, 2012
Tradition, there are more traditions of yachting in this video than varnishing that seem to be lost on the 'modern' sailor, a helmsman driving the boat while under sail. the helmsman has a clear 360 view of the sea around him and the sails above him. the dodger is down while sailing, i thought dodgers were for use while at anchor. the anchor is properly stowed , not hanging off the stem. the hatches open on the aft side. the crew is tweeking and helping 'sail' the boat

May 25, 2012
the sails on this boat sure are pretty. i love pretty sails

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
The sailing footage of that old boat is extraordinary in how it captured the emotion of sailing, for me at least. Truth is, I've found that 'zone' on any boat I've owned or sailed for any time. Each one found it in different conditions. Even our sailing dinghy's we've owned, under sail in the right conditions, can feel so comfortable that you could go on forever, right over the horizon.