Hunters WB Demise

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
Solina 27 Wabamun, Alberta
I feel it is the companies that use computer assisted designs and push for CNC use on large scale that will be able to quickly adapt to new trends and introduce new models every few years. And survive in the shrinking sailboats market. Northman that was mentioned here had the first boats leaving the production line only about 3 months after the renders of the new model were made public. Now that is quick.

Jun 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Paupack, PA
if the boat will plane, the speed of the boat reduces the wind load on the sails.
Not trying to hijack post, and not doubting, just trying to understand this. On a fixed course, as hull R decreases, boat speed increases, and AWA decreases. You're faster and sails are less loaded by virtue of what, not trimming? Just sounding it out. Thanks man.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Gents

Post was about the demise of HunterbW/B. Please start a new thread on anything else under all sailors forum. Thanks

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I feel it is the companies that use computer assisted designs and push for CNC use on large scale that will be able to quickly adapt to new trends and introduce new models every few years. And survive in the shrinking sailboats market. Northman that was mentioned here had the first boats leaving the production line only about 3 months after the renders of the new model were made public. Now that is quick.
@Bosman
That certainly helps. Every design/new boat has an amount of up-front costs for it, be it one boat or a 1000. Everything from design and labor and tooling. They call it their Non-Reoccurring Expense, or NRE. A boat builder will know how many boats they have to sell to spread out this NRE across all the hulls. The lower the NRE, the fewer boats they need to make, and can do so at lower cost.

If you can design it and build the mold and then the boat in 6 months, and know you only have to sell 30, its a lot easier to track user trends.

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
Wow....thats pretty cool. I watched them at the Catalina/Largo plant form a 275 mold by hand, but nothing like that.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Not trying to hijack post, and not doubting, just trying to understand this. On a fixed course, as hull R decreases, boat speed increases, and AWA decreases. You're faster and sails are less loaded by virtue of what, not trimming? Just sounding it out. Thanks man.
My point was to demonstrate the diminishing returns of ballast. Light boats just go fast, rather than consuming all the energy to displace water equal to the ballast weight. The energy goes into speed, rather than force against the sail to push the ballast weight through the water. Multi-hulls are light, but still carry a large sail area compared to the weight, because they just go fast, rather than pushing ballast. My boat is light for its size, and has a low ballast weight for the sail area. I don't find it particularly unstable, because rather than be unstable, it just goes faster. Your passengers become the ballast. With 4 people on board, I've carried full sails in 25 knots.
To argue the point, I think manufacturers want to make small boats have big boat cruising characteristics. But that also means they are slow, since you have a short waterline. In the smaller cruiser line, you just need to give up some of that weight, build a light boat that will plane, otherwise you end up with a stable pig, that isn't all that fun to sail.

Nov 10, 2017
Hunter Legend 260 Epidavros
My point was to demonstrate the diminishing returns of ballast. Light boats just go fast, rather than consuming all the energy to displace water equal to the ballast weight. The energy goes into speed, rather than force against the sail to push the ballast weight through the water. Multi-hulls are light, but still carry a large sail area compared to the weight, because they just go fast, rather than pushing ballast. My boat is light for its size, and has a low ballast weight for the sail area. I don't find it particularly unstable, because rather than be unstable, it just goes faster. Your passengers become the ballast. With 4 people on board, I've carried full sails in 25 knots.
To argue the point, I think manufacturers want to make small boats have big boat cruising characteristics. But that also means they are slow, since you have a short waterline. In the smaller cruiser line, you just need to give up some of that weight, build a light boat that will plane, otherwise you end up with a stable pig, that isn't all that fun to sail.
I'm showing you as a quote to be polite as in an attempt to prove the point, but in a different way. . . . .
My point and dismay is purely in the demise of water ballast boats, as in not everything ticks all the boxes all the time.
But, in my mind there is vast reasoning for them. I cannot praise the sailing characteristics of a WB boat personally because I have not sailed mine yet, only a McGreggor 26x :(. (this does enter my argument)
We are talking of only the benefits (or negatives) of a WB trailer sailor
ake it from me, I will report back factually when it happens with all the pluses and minuses