Hunter 49/ 50 owners with washer dryers

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
i have the Splenfide washer dryer on my boat, which was the Hunter standard.
These are very difficult to service.
Now, when hunter put in the unit, they put in a wooden slat across the bottom on the front side to keep it from sliding when you are on a port tack stbd heel.

Washing machines have drain ports , which allow you to openness them and remove caked up soap, hair, etc.
This drain is on the bottom front face of the machine. You CANT see it, because the piece of wood is blocking it.
I absolutely guarantee you that if you used your washer dryer, and don't clean this out, you will lose the wd water pump.
So,,,,,

This job is a pig. No other way to label it.
You will need to get Access behind the wd.
That means disassembling the cabinet in the port aft stateroom

You will need to loosen the stainless hold down bracket
Next, remove the vent & hoses.

Now, t
You can push the wd backwards about 3 inches
You will notice on the piece of wood that there are Kreg drilled screws in each corner.
You will need a long screwdriver bit and a pair of vice grips. No other way.

So, you now have our the 4 side crews.
Still no joy
They screwed this piece from under neath with 3 flat head wood screws, and there is NO ACCESS to the heads.
Take a bunch of masking tape, and really tape up the floor in front of this piece.

If you have a Fien tool, you're lucky. If not, take a new hacksaw blade, and with duct tape make a handle.
Take a thin SS paint scraper, and slide it under one end.
Now, sneak in the hacksaw blade, and find the first screw.
Cut, cut, cut, bleed, swear, cut.

One down, 2 to go.

After you remove the piece, clean the WD filter.
Then, re-install the wood so that it's removable. I put threaded inserts into floor, and then installed 1/2-20 machine screws. This needs to be in solid to hold the mass of the machine with the boat heeling

If you use your WD, this is a must do project.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Sorry, one point I left out
There is a metal panel on the bottom of the wd which covers the pump cap.
You can remove this panel only when the piece of wood is removed
Good luck

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Nice post.

Sounds like another engineering feat of the boat yard designed to challenge the boat owner has been discovered and resolved.