Hunter 410 Mast Support Struts

Mar 19, 2013
Hunter 37.5 Ece Saray, Fethiye
Hello,

Maybe some Hunter 410 owners can shed some light. Seems from 1999 until 2000 the mast support struts were standard on the 410's. On the later models, they were not.... Did they make any modifications to the rig or discovered they were not necessary over time?

Thanks...

Sep 12, 2015
2002 Hunter 356 Oakville
Hi RLMahan,

On earlier models the upper section of the mast was built lighter to reduce weight aloft. Hunter dropped the struts as well on the later 356's. I have them on my 2002 356 and some will argue that they are preferred because they are used as handholds and give some stability while going forward or working on the mast while underway or in rough conditions.

Tim22

Jun 16, 2014
Hunter 310 Ottawa
My 1997 Hunter 310 has mast struts. I believe there was a change in mast supplier from z spar to selden sometime around 1999 - 2000 and I suspect that this has something to do with the struts not being required on later models. Perhaps this is the same for the 410.

Tim

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
My understanding is that it was a way to provide for a lighter mast section and less weight aloft, but with the popularity of in-mast furling, the need for a larger and stiffer section rendered that option less important. See the Hunter Child 50 as an illustration. http://www.boats.com/reviews/going-the-distance/#.Wkw4ajdG1PY (By the way, that boat is still around. I went out on her when she was a new demo and she is quite amazing these years later. Mr. Phil H. was on that ride, remember Phil?)

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I have the 2007 inmast with no struts and what I was told by Seleden that yes the ones with struts were light made mast and the newer with out were made beefed up and stronger and I think maybe more cross rigging up the mast.
Many other models had the struts before changing the heavy duty mast.
Nick