Hunter 386 at anchor

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
I have seen anchor sails work well and fore and aft bridles work. Just don't want to be the only one in an anchorage not sailing around in formation.

rfrye1

Jun 15, 2004
Hunter H376 San Diego
bummer
so chain doesn't cure it. about what angle does it skew from the wind?
thanks for the feedback Bob
Raging....
I'm guessing up to 15 Degrees max. Keep in mind that I'm in S.Cal with somewhat minor tides/currents compared to the Northern Lats so I don't need to have a ton of chain out. And most anchorages are crowded so unless its really blowing I'm only at 5:1 scope (high tide).. It's really never been an issue for me, but I'm used to it. I'm sure an anchor sail set aft would help. Or you can always set a rear anchor.
Good luck!

Feb 24, 2014
hunter 260 clearwater
oh
15 deg is nothing. thats good to know! thanks
my Mac 26 and Hunter 260 swing about 100 deg total in less than 2 minutes

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
Scope on chain is 3 to 1 vs rope at 7 to 1?
- Will (Dragonfly)
It is not that simple. Odd that most don't know how chain works. It works better in short scopes because of it's weight, but if you are anchored in shallow water, you don't have much chain out so that is not much weight which makes it easy for the wind to straighten it out. When anchoring in deep water and putting out 150+ feet a chain then you can think about going with a short scope.

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
First off, lets clarify something: swinging is normal and all monohulls do it. Cats usually do not if using a bridle. Sailing on anchor is different are fairly rare. That is where the boat's bow will swing to a side with a gust of wind and then the wind creates a lift off something on the boat like the mast, causing it to go forward in the direction it is pointed, not the direction of the wind. if the boat is going forward in the direction of that wind, that is due to the wind dying down a little and then the weight of the rode pulling the boat forward.

My boat doesn't swing anymore than any other typical boat. I have been living on anchor for 6 years now in over 60 anchorages with many different boats next to me. I love boat TV so yeah, I watch boats all the time on anchor. I can say you will not have any problems with a H386 on anchor with either rope or chain (I've used both).

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
and of all the boats I've seen out here cruising, I've only seen one with a riding sail. Cruisers just know how to anchor and how far to stay away.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
It is not that simple. Odd that most don't know how chain works. It works better in short scopes because of it's weight, but if you are anchored in shallow water, you don't have much chain out so that is not much weight which makes it easy for the wind to straighten it out.
Thanks for the clarification. I've never really had to consider chain on the small boats I've been in command of. All I knew about it, before reading up in this thread and in preparation for this thread, is a story my dad told about a guy, in an anchorage, who was insisting that the Old Man (my dad) had to put out at least 7:1 scope or he'd drag down on the guy. The Old Man assured him that he was on all chain and it would be alright. The guy wasn't having any of that. He went through the whole explanation about why 7:1 scope was the standard. In the end, the Old Man told him he'd keep an eye on it.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
For those of you that have an anchor riding sail make sure that you rig it properly. From the comments above, most people think that it is intended to keep the boat pointed into the wind but that just cannot happen. I started rigging mine according to the instructions at Sailrite and it works so much better. :yeah: Hoist sail on backstay and tie it forward off-center to one rail. The boat rides to one side with less than 1/2 the swing experienced without the riding sail.

https://www.sailrite.com/PDF/Using An Anchor Riding Sail.pdf

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
will always swing a little but more chain will keep you from dragging and will help less swinging both with less scope.
I cruise same area as you and mostly shallow water and I mean not real very deep,I keep 100' of chain but mostly put out
about 50' to 60' and have not dragged since adding the chain and been out in some nasty weather and storms.
Nick