Hunter 37.5 Keel Bolts

Apr 11, 2017
Hunter 37.5 Kingston
I am a new owner of a 94 Hunter Legend 37.5 Looking to check keel bolts with a torque wrench, and have yet to find any specified values at to how much each bolt should be torqued. Any comments regarding removing the bolts and washers, and re bedding them with 5200? Seeing some small amount of water seeping out of keel - hull join area externally with boat on the hard over the winter. No real sign of rust colored seepage, fortunately. Previous owner did not clean out bilge, so no idea how long water sat there. Bilge is clean and dry. Bolts, nuts and washers appear to be in excellent condition. Thanks! Peter

jarda

May 12, 2017
Hunter 37.5 Brouwershaven
hi Peter, can you tell me more about the keel bolts? I'm doing the same on my 37.5

Nov 3, 2012
Hunter 37 Legend Marathon, FL
Can you tell me the nut size of your keel bolts? I have. 1087 Hunter Legend 37...

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
Check this out from the old Hunter Marine site by our friend Eddie Breeden. This is a pdf of the spreadsheet because uploads of excel files is disabled.Dan

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Mars Metals in Canada produced the keels and if you inquire with them, they should know the information you need to know such as torque on those keel bolts. 905-632-3862

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I had them tightened when I first got my 32 and then again when I got my 40.5. Both boats were used but fairly new. I suspect the yards simply ad-libed the torque values.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Check this out from the old Hunter Marine site by our friend Eddie Breeden. This is a pdf of the spreadsheet because uploads of excel files is disabled.Dan
Interesting. I emailed Marlow-Hunter with this torque question for my h40.5 and never received an answer.
I wonder why all of the boats listed from a 33 to a 49 have between 5 and 10 keel bolts while my 40.5 only has THREE?

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
They must be really strong bolts? Ha. My guess is Eddie may have poster it without noticing his omission. At least you should be able to get the torque values.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Dan_Y
As a former dealer and owner of American Marine & Sail Supply, most of you have no idea how dedicated Eddie Breeden at Hunter was in warranty and customer handling. If he needed to, Eddie reached out to all Hunter customers often working late for example one time on a Saturday night at 9 p.m. when I called to leave a message and he answered the phone . He also traveled a lot to meet with Hunter owners. He had no time for his hobbies serving Hunter owners. That in my books is called DEDICATION To Hunter Customers. However when over worked, we tend sometimes to make an omission and that included dealers as well but when he did, there was an apology. All I can say if we had people of his statue in Washington, this country would be better off. Eddie retired and I was honored to announce that here on HunterOwners. You have no idea the quality of this individual's dedication

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I agree that Eddie was outstanding. I once called with a question on rudder post play and left a message. Within 30 minutes he called me and answered my concern directly. I was very pleasantly surprised at the prompt service.

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
Dave
I meant no disrespect to Eddie what so ever. Sorry if it came across that way. I was joking about the omission. Eddie helped me with several issues on my h30, some of which I have posted here so others could have the benefit of Eddie's help, even if they didn't know they needed it yet. Ha! Eddie always returned my emails and calls, which I always thought was top-notch customer service and made me glad I bought the Hunter brand. I have probably praised him or mentioned his help in multiple threads around this site.

So do you keep in touch with him? Hopefully his retirement is going well.
Peace!
Dan

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Dan;
As to Greg Emerson and Eddie Breeden, both are doing fine but keeping in tradition not to reveal anything else, that is all I will say.
I do thank you for advising and it is refreshing to know Eddie helped you too Also thank you for your contributions to this forum.

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
Actually Dave, I also admire the fact you are still sharing your unique knowledge with members of this forum. It's a gracious and selfless thing to take the time to do that.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
As you will find, sharing with others also leads to friendship. Can you believe that green scaly frog has been to our mountain where frogs normally are found in water! He enjoyed the views. Take care and Merry Christmas