Hunter 34

Jun 12, 2013
Hunter 40 back creek
im starting to attempt removal of my prop which direction does the nut go to remove the prop and it appears there is a larger nut behind it what is that for

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
should be normal right hand treads.. The two nuts are for locking.. Hold the big one and loosen the thin one (after removing the pin).. then hold the prop and loosen the thicker one.. then you will usually need a prop puller to get the taper fit propeller off.. Note that the thin nut should be next to the prop when re-installed.. Check out MaineSail's site for propeller installation .. Leave a little donation for his site.. it has a lot of great info..
http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/fitting_a_prop

Jun 12, 2013
Hunter 40 back creek
I attempted removing the 2 blade prop with a puller after removing the nuts and after tightening the puller as much as it would go and still no movement in the prop the tip of the shaft where the puller tip fits into sheared off a corner of the end of the shaft that has coumter sink drill hole for aligning the puller to the end of the shaft and the puller dislodged itself and fell on the ground.
It's not budging any ideas? Can inhacksaw a half inch off the broken and and drill a new countersink, btw it's a bronze shaft!

Jun 19, 2004
Island Packet IP 32 99 Forked River, NJ
Oh boy... now what??? I've always had success with a torch applied to the prop hub. The hole expands a bit and breaks the taper lock.
With the bronze shaft you might want to check out the shaft seal area. If it has a groove worn there you might want to go for a new shaft. Otherwise you should be OK with repair you mentioned.

Malog

Apr 21, 2018
Hunter 34 Gothenburg
Hi.

Just bought a Hunter 34 here in sweden. Its from 83/84 and my question is: There are two props with the boat; the original 2 bladed and one 3 bladed. Wich will give me the best performance? Thanks for any gudance
//Magnus

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Welcome and congrats on you Hunter 34,
The factory prop is a two blade and will produce less drag when
Sailing however it will not produce as much thrust/power when motoring.
A three blade prop will produce much more drag and more power when motoring, plus will produce the same thrust as a two bladed prop at a lower rpm.
Trade offs for both. I have the two bladed prop as most of the h34s have and it moves us along just fine.
If you plan to motor a lot then you may want the three blade.
Then again you did by a sail boat, I would used the three bladed prop as a paper weight and go sailing⛵

Malog

Apr 21, 2018
Hunter 34 Gothenburg
Welcome and congrats on you Hunter 34,
The factory prop is a two blade and will produce less drag when
Sailing however it will not produce as much thrust/power when motoring.
A three blade prop will produce much more drag and more power when motoring, plus will produce the same thrust as a two bladed prop at a lower rpm.
Trade offs for both. I have the two bladed prop as most of the h34s have and it moves us along just fine.
If you plan to motor a lot then you may want the three blade.
Then again you did by a sail boat, I would used the three bladed prop as a paper weight and go sailing⛵
I hear what you say, Cap. I Think i`ll change back to the factory prop for this season. Thanks for the fast reply!!
//Magnus