Hunter 34 main halyard sheaves

Apr 20, 2016
Hunter 34 New Bern
Good morning
on my 84 Hunter 34 I have two sheaves for the main halyard on the aft side of the mast up top and two at the base on the starboard side I have two in front of the mast up top one for the Jib and one for the spinnaker and two corresponding at the base on the port side. my question is are both aft sheaves for a main halyard? my plan was to use one as the main and the second as a backup. when i ran the first main halyard it dropped down perfectly the second sheave looks like it has less room for a line and seems to have a plate or something behind it. my feeder line will not go much past it any ideas on this or is this not for a second halyard? Thanks for the help

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Sounds like a good plan to have a spare main halyard. Those sheaves at the bottom can be removed. As I recall you should see a locking screw that taken out will allow you to remove the pin (axle) and the sheaves. There is a plate between the two sheaves but I don't recall anything behind them. Once removed you should be able to route your halyard where you want and reinstall the sheaves.

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 34 Toronto, Ontario Canada
Do you mean the top aft sheaves? If so One of mine is where the topping lift for the boom is attached. I have not noticed if there is a plate behind it.

Apr 20, 2016
Hunter 34 New Bern
no my topping lift is above the main I will go back up and take more pics this weekend

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
I may have gotten confused (easy to do these days). I thought the problem was at the bottom. Sorry about that. As I recall a long time ago when I had the mast down it seemed both upper aft sheaves had a clear path to drop a line down. I use the starboard sheave for my main halyard and have never gotten around to running that second one. Same for the jib halyard. My spinnaker halyard is external. The only complication is farther down inside the mast. Right behind the steaming light is a tube welded inside the mast. It provides the path for the electrical wires from the back of the light to the hidden wire chase behind the sail track. You can only get to it when the mast is down and the sail track is slid out of the mast extrusion. The only problem is when a halyard is dropped down one side of that internal tube then directed to an exit sheave on the other side, it can result in a stress point when tensioned. Its best to exit on the side that the line would pass that cross tube.