Hunter 34 Chain Plate Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jan 22, 2008
- - -
our recently acquired Hunter 34 had a catastrophic rigging failure when the chain plate rod pulled out of the steel base plate that is hidden beneath the port side berth. The mast fell. The anchor plate is totally rusted away. Closer inspection of the starboard side plate shows similar deterioration. Does anyone know what this anchor assembly looks like and how it might be replaced? Thanks

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Remove the glass and replace the metal member.

Rol:

If you can see the attached photo of the cutway of the hull section it may give you an idea.

I think if this was made from S.S. and isolated it would be a permanent fix.

K

Ketoj

Gaining Access to Inspect Chain Plate

It would be very helpful to us h34 owners, and others with similar set-up, to know the best way to inspect the assembly where the chain plate rod fastens to the angle iron glassed into the hull (I'm presuming the picture provided by Steve is accurate for the h34, it appears correct). I've taken a good look inside the storage area where the rod passess through the angle iron and do see a good deal of surface rust but do not know what's going on underneath or how much metal remains. I suspect that short of doing ultrasonics to determine metal thickness there is no easy access to see how much metal remains? Any suggestions?

K

Ketoj

H34 Chain Plate Configuration

I've put together the enclosed sketch which I believe reflects the H34 chain plate to hull configuration. If any of you have had this apart please share your experience in inspecting/repairing this assembly. Not being able to see what's going on inside there has a certain pucker factor to it!

Aug 19, 2009
Hunter 34 LAKE WORTH FL
Re: Remove the glass and replace the metal member.

I am looking for information on the repair of the Huner 34 chainplates as mine has just failured - at dock. I suspect the other side is weak as well. I cannot see any attached pictures on the forum or links etc. Can you help? Thanks

Oct 14, 2005
1983 Hunter H34 North East, MD
This is the second...

posting of this problem on the forum this year. Those of us with H34's need to take a close look at the chainplate rod attachement points as this may be a problem festering in all our boats.

So far I have not detected any water intrusion getting in and running down either side's rod, but will now look at both deck points to see if there are any signs of penetrations.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
There was a good set of posts on this subject by a guy whose user name here is "steve21968" Search on his name and I think you'll find some useful stuff.. sorry to hear of the failure!

Apr 20, 2009
Hunter 34 St.Margaret's Bay, Nova Scotia
Can't seem to see any of the pics or drawings. Wouild all with pics or drawings kindlly e-mail to dennismansour@yahoo.ca Had a sury, this summer do a surface visual, no indication of a problem, however, I suspect that I will liklely take a real look beyond the glass for inside in the spring pf 2010. Plan to sail south in 2010 for a yearfrom Canada.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
http://hunter.sailboatowners.com/images/easygallery/full/1136/1219423724_40engineer.jpeg

I believe that this configuration was used on all of the post Cherubini's 31' - 40' models. I do not think it is that difficult to look at the chain plate attachment point.

I think that replacing the iron "L" stock with something like S.S. may be in order if there is any doubt about your vessel. It may take a little destructive surgery to get the old ones out and the new ones in, but you can probably improve the design when completed.

Jul 21, 2009
2 34 us virgin islands
How did this work out for you??? I just had the same failure...at sea and lost the rig. Now looking to replace the l bracket.

Oct 14, 2005
1983 Hunter H34 North East, MD
Hunter Chain Plate Construction Detail...

hope this helps, from the owner's manual. The site wouldn't let me load it as is, so I had to resize it and load it on its side. You'll have to rotate it 90 degrees clockwise to view it withou lying down next to your computer.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.