Hunter 33 spreaders

Mar 13, 2017
Hunter 33c Pasedena MD
The spreaders on my boat are angled fwd. Anyone have a photo of the brackets? I'm thinking mine may have been re-installed wrong last time the PO had the mast down.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Spreaders on the Cherubinis are at right angles to the mast. Go up and take a look. Something is not right IMO.

Mar 13, 2017
Hunter 33c Pasedena MD
I had read that post, that's why I requested a photo of the bracket.. My outer shroud is inline at the base and top of the mast,but not at the spreaders.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Took another good look at my spreads from a distance. They are at right angles to the mast and angled up just a couple of degrees or so. An identical h30 two slips from me, although a couple of years newer, spreaders are also at right angles but are parallel to the water. The shrouds, however, are very loose.

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
Given a mast standing in column (perfectly vertical), the spreaders should be dead-on in line with it. Given backwards (normal) mast rake, the spreaders may be a little raked aft. The only time they're raked forward is when the mast is; and I've never seen that on a Western-style rig. More often they are raked aft to permit the upper shrouds to act as a 'helper' backstay (such as on the Bergstrom rig and on many boats with significantly-raked spars, such as the C44).

The spreaders may be 'encouraged' to have a little dihedral (upward angle from root to tip) when relaxed, but in reality, given a properly-tuned rig, they will naturally come to bisect the angle of the upper shrouds. They should never be 'forced' to assume an angle that is otherwise -- that'd mean a compromise of structural integrity (either something is too tight or too loose; and the natural tendency will be to correct itself, even if it means they break something in trying to return to where they should be).

Mar 13, 2017
Hunter 33c Pasedena MD
They are not inline, but most of the standing rigging with the seems very loose. I did manage to read some of you blog and will attempt to add more rake to the mast when I go back and tune the rigging.