Hunter 31 washing machine install

Sep 11, 2015
Hunter 31 Marina del Rey
Just wanted to share a success story, installing a proper automatic washing machine on my Hunter 31. I believe in automatic washing machines, you put the laundry in and 45 min later it is done. Semi-automatics work well but the process is so labor intensive that you often just wait until you come ashore.

I came across the LG Sidekick, a fully automatic, high quality washing machine. It retails for $799 but can be had for under $300 in various local shops. While daunting initially (27" by 30" x 15", 100 lb), most of the weight is in the case and drawer that is not necessary. I installed it under the settee in the main salon. Here are the steps:

1. There are three LG Sidekick models, 29", 27" and 24". The first two use the same drum, 1.0 cu ft, around 22" in diameter, the last one uses a smaller drum, 0.7 cu ft, around 19" drum. I got the 27" version with the bigger drum mostly because I could one at a discount.

2. The minimum space you need to have is 24" x 27" by 10". The weight is about 40 lb once the case is removed. Disassemble the machine completely, removing all harnesses and parts. Throw away the metal case. Take the plastic square frame and note the position of the four balancing rods. The rods are arranged in a square with exactly 20" sides.

3. Try to fit the plastic frame into the space you have, typically that would be under a settee with top access. You can cut parts of the frame as needed, do not worry much about weakening the sides. When done, you need to fix the plastic frame to the cabinetry in a fairly rigid way. Best way is to screw one or two sides to the settee sides and build support for the other two sides. The settee is perfect for that, see the pictures.

4. Attach all the parts (there is a wiring diagram inside the case, disable to stacking switch, the drawer open switches (there are two reed switches next to each other) and the locking mechanism. Connect cold and hot water (a water heater would help), find a place for the control panel and make everything neat and tidy. It will take you a full weekend and multiple trips to Home Depot. Figure out if you want to drain to the bilge or overboard.

5. Most people wash at the dock, where there is plenty of water available. Washing underway takes some planning. You need to have a water maker, a water heater and an inverter (modified sine wave is OK). The water consumption is significant, about 15 gallons per normal wash.

6. For drying, my best idea is to hang the clothes in the head and feed forced air heat in the head. It works pretty much like a tumble dryer without the tumbling.

Is it worth it? It is more of a novelty. I guess I need a higher capacity water maker now. The electricity consumption for the wash itself is minimal. May be around 10-15 AHr. Add another 60-65 AHr to make the water, and it is 80 AHr. It definitely requires some planning.

LG-1.jpg LG-2.jpg LG-3.jpg LG-4.jpg

If anyone wants to try it, feel free to reach out.

SV Pizzazz

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Hmmm! Quite an accomplishment!

We have never had a problem finding a washing machine and dryer in or near a marina for cruises longer than a week. The local folks always know where to go.

I could see a value in an on-board washing machine for a long transoceanic crossing. But my understanding of such cruises is that there is plenty of time for hand washing which is also very efficient with the fresh water.

Jul 23, 2018
hunter 31 aquia
WOW, I saw the title and thought "sure he did". But that is very impressive. Not sure I need it, but I dont want to diminish your accomplishment!