Hunter 280-Recommended?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Randy

I would appreciate good and bad things about the 280. I'm looking at a 1997, for what that's worth. Any idea how it compares with a similar size Catalina? If you would give me a phone, I'd call you. You can call me if you want. Thanks. Randy (720-482-9956)

J

Jeff

Not my first choice

For some reason Hunter downsized the 280 compared to the 28.5 and 28. The beam is a foot narrower and the displacement is about 1000 lbs less. Then they went up in size with the 290. I would go with a 28 or 28.5 instead of the 280. The 28 has a sugarscoop transom but the 28.5 has a masthead rig. Catalina 28 is a nice boat but is considerably more expensive. Check the boat info on this site for Hunters and Catalinas. TRy and get on board all the models if you can before making your decision.

J

Jim A

I have a Hunter and I like

the 280. It is not as big inside but it's cute. The Catalina is a different boat. Different meaning bigger, nicer kitchen and mast head rig. All and all the Hunter 280 is a good boat but make sure it is big enough for you.

L

Larry Long

I like my 280

I looked at 19 other boats before I made the offer on my 280. My previous boat was a Hunter 380 so it was very difficult to find happiness with a smaller boat. Simply put; I found happiness with the Hunter 280. It is very easy to sail. It backs into the slip easily. The cockpit is large for a 28 footer. I don't feel claustrophobic inside the boat. It is light, bright, and airy. The bed in the aft berth is almost the same size as the 380 and it is a lot larger than the Hunter 28 or 28.5. The swim platform is larger than the 28, which makes getting in and out of the dinghy a lot easier. I believe the 280 is a lot of boat for the money. Yes, I would trade it for a new H326 in a heartbeat, but I don't expect to be swamped by all of the offers.

T

Tom

I bought the 280

I bought a 1998 Hunter 280 this year after comparing it to a 1997 Catalina 28. I liked both boats but went with the 280. It's a great boat to sail and has a lot of room in the cockpit and cabin for 28'. The Catalina was significantly more expensive and I didn't feel that it justified the extra expense.

E

Ed Fluss

H280 is a FANTASTIC boat!

The H280 is one fantastic boat. I had a 1996 with full keel, mid-boom sheeting, and full bimini. Every marina I visited people asked about it. She sailed through everything. Around Long Island through sun and storms. All the way up the Hudson, hours of motoring, this boat never failed to please. I am a big fan of staying on the hook. The Hunter Cruisepac included almost everything I needed. Inside is bright, airy, and spacious. The rear berth slept 3 on party weekends with the boys and for the weekend away with my girlfriend it was a fantastic place to sleep. The window on the rear bulkhead gave a nice touch of light and cross ventilation during sleep (I wish my 326 was as airy below) We would drop the table and have a big cosy berth, watch DVD's, and then pop up the table for great breakfast from the small but very functional galley. Hot and cold water, a great cooler, and I didnt even mind the alchohol stove which made great crepes no matter what the sea conditions outside. I had the full roach main and as long as u rig the sails to reef easily this boat performs in light and heavy air. Get it. Its a fantastic boat. For reference. I had my boat in NYC a block from the trade center on 9/11. My 280 took me off Manhattan! The boat barely had a scratch in the gelcoat. I bought a 2003 H326 (gotta live right?) and while the extra room and roller furling main is nice, down below it just does not have the same open light feeling. I think more skylight hatches of large size wud be helpful (are you listening Hunter) but my point is the light colors and openess of the 280 feels very large inside. The same goes for the large rounded cockpit. -Ed S/V Michaya, NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.