Hunter 27 Fuel Tank

Apr 19, 2015
Hunter 27 Midway Marina Catawba Island Lake Erie
I would like to replace the small fuel tank on my new (well, new to me) 1980 Cherubini Hunter 27.

Seems to be about an 8-gallon capacity and looks to be original. Based on the smell, there may possibly be a leak at the bottom of the tank soaking the board below it.

Anyone have suggestions for replacements? Success stories? Horror stories?

Looked at a few online, but none seemed to be the same size.

Jun 25, 2015
Hunter 27 Baltimore
Hey Tomgrandy - I just recently joined Sailboatowners myself and found this forum. I'm sorry to be so late and probably you have solved your problem with the tank by now. I recently purchased my H27C and was told by the previous owner that the tank had been repaired and tested. When I put 5 gallons of diesel in about two of them immediately made way into the bilge before I was able to pump out the rest. Needless to say I pulled the tank and the problem was clearly seen. A small hole in the corner and much corrosion. I purchased Moeller - Marine Below Deck Permanent Fuel Tank (12-Gallon, 20" x 14" x 11.75") from amazon $159.00. It is a great tank. Realy you don't need a fuel gage as you can always see the level through the tank sides. Also, there is a better way to rig a return for the diesel than the expensive kit that is sold.
I hope this was not too late and that you found the appropriate tank solution.

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
Sandflee, how did you get the old tank out and the new one in?
Dan

Jun 25, 2015
Hunter 27 Baltimore
Sandflee, how did you get the old tank out and the new one in?
Dan
The tank was in the starboard lazarette. It was rectangular aluminum and was just the right size to pull out. The new one from Moeller (12 Gallon) was a bit longer but fit in through the Lazarette as well. I used the hold down clamps which I purchased at West Marine (They were cheaper on line) and it made a pretty nice job. the fitting placement did demand that I replace the fill hose and the vent hose (length). Other than that it was a two or so hour job.

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
Thanks, I haven't had to deal with it, but am always looking and reading and thinking.

Apr 19, 2015
SandFlee - Thanks for your recommendation! I've been putting off this job for a few years and forgot about posting here. When I looked up "Replace Fuel Tank Hunter Cherubini 27" imagine my surprise when the answer was to my own question! That said, I'm hopping over to Amazon right now to purchase the tank that you recommended. I'm tired of the diesel odors. Wondering how your tank is doing and if you have any additional installation suggestions.

Thanks!
TomGrandy

Hey Tomgrandy - I just recently joined Sailboatowners myself and found this forum. I'm sorry to be so late and probably you have solved your problem with the tank by now./QUOTE]

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
I have recently posted similar about my 1980 36 model. That is a "suspected" micro leak from the bottom of the OEM fitted aluminum fuel tank. Because the 36 tank is strapped down tightly, and the slope is away from the direction I can observe, definite evidence of leakage has been devilishly hard to diagnose. Other than perception of an odor. And in my case just a hint of an oily sheen in the bilge.

Just a few days ago, I also ordered a Moeller replacement tank.

Unfortunately on the 36, without doing major fiberglass destruction, the OEM tank cannot be removed without first cutting it into pieces. And in reverse, a new tank of the same +/- dimensions can't be reinstalled in the same recess. (Unless through the opening made through the major fiberglass deconstruction!)

Not keen on cutting through fiberglass and then trying to patch it up again, I will leave the OEM tank in place. Instead install the new replacement tank on the opposite side. Then eventually remove the old tank.

Of issue for me is removing 100% of the diesel from the old tank so that the dregs in the bottom won't continue to weep out. After ensuring that the old tank is inerted with CO2, I will probably poke several weep holes at the lowest point to ensure all liquid is vacated. I will leave the tank vent in place.

Because virtually all of us with +/- 1980 built Cherubini Hunter sailboats will encounter this issue, I will post the outcome/experience of my "fix".

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2015
Rardi - Good point on removal of the old tank. Looking at the video that I shot, the small tank on the 27 should be easier to remove than on the 36. Will definitely do some measuring before cutting the old one free!
Unfortunately on the 36, without doing major fiberglass destruction, the OEM tank cannot be removed without first cutting it into pieces.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
My 84 Cherubini's fuel tank isn't in the lazarette but is behind the engine bulkhead under the cockpit. It is plastic. The only way to replace it would require major surgery. So far, no leaks. I did replace the fill pipe and vent pipe.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Our original aluminum tank is 12 gallons.

After 40 years in fresh water, there are no signs of leaks in either our fuel or fresh water tanks. I think the salt water environment is much tougher!

Apr 19, 2015
Got the new tank and heading to the lake next weekend to replace the fuel tank with the one you recommended. In re-reading what you wrote, you mention:

Also, there is a better way to rig a return for the diesel than the expensive kit that is sold.
If you have a couple minutes, can you elaborate on the better way to rig the return?

Thanks!
Tom

Apr 19, 2015
Got the old aluminum fuel tank out yesterday and the board underneath was saturated with diesel. Had to chip out the old wood the tank was sitting on as the screws were all rusted in place. Being relatively new to anything engine-related, I noticed that the old diesel tank had four intakes and the Moeller - Marine Below Deck Permanent Fuel Tank (12-Gallon, 20" x 14" x 11.75") from Amazon $159.00 only had three.

Re-read what SandFlee wrote regarding a diesel return this morning (that would be the 4th intake). Even though the one I bought had a float and sending unit, and though I could probably have come up with something myself, out of sheer frustration I bought the Moeller Marine Electric Fuel Tank Sending Unit with Diesel Return Line (12" to 24" Deep Tanks, 35 to 240 Ohm's) for another $45 so I could have a diesel return line to the tank. Live and learn - probably could have come up with something else for under $10 but figured it is best to stick with what the company made for the tank instead of me drilling additional holes.

The best news is the old tank lifted right out and the new one, even with the extra 2" for the fuel intake, still fit in the lazarette nicely. Once the new diesel return/sending unit shows, I'll post some photos of the finished project along with any notes but there is a lot of cleaning to be done right now.

Might also replace some of the wood between the engine and the diesel tank that has diesel stench in it and replace the insulation around the ice box as I have easy access to it now that the fuel tank is out.

If you have any additional ideas of things I should do while the tank is out, let me know!

IMG_8885.JPG IMG_8888.JPG IMG_8883.JPG