Hunter 25 keel bolts

Db421

Jun 7, 2004
Hunter 34 1986 Lake Lanier, GA
I recently noticed a "smile" at the aft end of the keel to hull joint of my '83 hunter 25. The shape of the keel looks like it would produce a severe rotational force putting a lot of stress on the after section of the keel. I know from reading other posts that thr smile usually occurs on the leading edge. I've never struck an object with the boat so I know that isn't the issue. I'm worried that she is just getting long in thr tooth. I've read that stainless steel connectors can look just fine on the outside and be rotten within the fastener. I'm now noticing some water in the bilge but this could be due to recent rains (I hope!). Questions: Should I be worried about bolt corrosion? Did Hunter use 316 stainless for the keelboats?

Going up to the lake Saturday to monitor thr situation and take pictures.

Thanks!

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
That crack does look a little ominous. Hopefully it is not any deeper than the gelcoat. I know that the keel attachment stub on the H27 is solid fiberglass and fairly thick, although the crack may be just aft of the stub and into thinner hull glass.
To check your keel bolts, try tapping the top of the bolts from the side with a hammer. You should hear a ting and not a dull sounding thud. If you suspect one of the bolts, take the nut off and check for corrosion.

Dec 6, 2014
Hunter 23 Corpus Christi Marina
While it's out of the water? Correct?
I have the same boat. I will check mine. Thank you for the heads up.