hunter 240 swing keel issue

Mar 8, 2018
Hunter 240 Texas Gulf Coast
Just bought 1998 240. I've heard the swing keel will get us into places we were unable to get into with our first mono hull. Lifted boat off trailer to re-new the bunks and replace centerboard uphaul. Former owner related he had issues with raising the cb and I could see the uphaul line was too large and in a bind at the mast foot. Have the boat on lift removed and replaced uph. with 3/8" as called for in the manual also replaced twisted cheek block. Reinstalled and tested while still on lift only to find I am unable to raise the 121lb keel even using the winch! Truthfully the mechanisms design looks ineffective for raising a 121lb keel....What am I missing here? Do I need to be in the water with forward speed? Do I need to allow the keel to touch bottom first then tighten the winch? Also the cb bracket appeared to be new and had (2) spots drilled for the keel pivot pin. Do both the 260 and 240 use the same cb bracket? Do both boats use a 121lb keel? Is it possible the last owner reassembled with keel pivot in wrong position? Looking forward to getting this boat in the water! Thanks

Jimmy

Jan 28, 2018
Hunter 26 lake Powell lake mead
I replaced my cb line and pivot pins and I cannot lift cb I was told in the water it will come up hope this helps.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Calgary, Canada
My 23.5 isn't identical to your 240, but I'm certain that you shouldn't need any of the "tricks" you asked about to raise the CB. You should be able to do it in deep water at a standstill with one arm (NO winch!). I have no idea about lifting it when out of the water though.

Jimmy

Jan 28, 2018
Hunter 26 lake Powell lake mead
I have H 26 so it looks a little different than mine but pretty close to the same set up.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@waveform
Time to talk with one another from a former dealer very much involved with your boat.
Send me a message with name location and phone to which I can call. Your info is kept confidential and erased once issue is resolved. Via forum email. Do advise on salt or fresh water

Crazy Dave

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
The centerboard on my '98 H240 has always been difficult to raise, requiring the use of the winch. Raising it while underway with the motor is a bit easier. Mine is overdue for a uphaul change- still original. This old thread will help to confirm your pivot pin is in the right hole- the bracket is used for both the 240 and 26/260, and on the 240 the pin goes in the lower aft hole.
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/a-little-centerboard-help.165582/

Apr 8, 2013
Hunter 260 Nanaimo
Not much mechanical advantage as you raise the keel with only about 18" of line movement .
Out of the water somebody will have to lift the keel as the winch seems to be under to much strain .
In the water the winch with handle is required . I replaced my haul up line with Dymeed to first block . No worry of line swelling .