Hunter 24 how much sail in 10 knots +?

ronkS2

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 240 South Florida
I am new to the Hunter swing keel and ballast, so forgive me if this seems from left field. Most of my boats have been lead filled fin keel and spade rudder. If i was in heavy wind or just out for a slow sail in lighter wind i would just run my Jib. It would give me reasonable speed and was quite manageable in tacking and responded well to the rudder. In heavier wind and sometimes on the lighter wind the only thing the main seemed to do was make the boat heel more and added little to the speed.
In 10 knots plus can i get away with just the jib and will the boat respond well to input from the tiller and have enough power to pull me through a tack? I am going to be with wife and my nine year old daughter who is new to sailing. I also have no problem dropping all the sails and motoring back in if that makes for the most comfortable and scare free ride for my little one.
Thanks again,
Ron

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Calgary, Canada
Being a fractional rig, in heavier wind try main only, or even reefed main only, not jib only. I do this with my H23.5 which I think has less ballast and more sail area compared to the newer H240.

May 6, 2004
- - Potomac
240 sailor here. Rick is right, jib only is a non-starter in any conditions. She'll sail nicely under full canvass up to about 15 kts. (With a 110 jib). After that, reef.

Enjoy the new boat.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
As a former dealer I always suggested on this boat no more than 12-14 degree heel for the 240 or any of the water ballast as it sails faster flatter with more of a flat hull vs. the traditional v style hull.

Oct 31, 2012
Hunter 2008 H25 Lake Wabamun
Dave is right on (as usual). I try to limit my 2008 H25 to 15 degrees and fly the main only if the wind is too strong. The rudder feel will tell you it you are over powered even before the crew complains.

Oct 3, 2006
Hunter 23 Philadelphia
Remember, when you swing the keel up a little, it also goes *back* This is huge!! Under main alone, the center of your sails is behind the mast - bringing the keel back a tad under one sail is a huge help to me

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Brian M H23
I found that not be the case but it has been a while since on a water ballast. Remember these water ballast boats have the ballast in the hull/tank and not in the centerboard as a keel is referenced with weight to prevent heeling as the center board is mostly to prevent slippage sideways. The only point of sail with the swing centerboard up in any fashion is going down wind only and then you have to stay on top of that. Not trying to argue but want to make sure of what you are talking about as these boats are different from swing or fixed keel performance

ronkS2

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 240 South Florida
Funny all the different nuances of hull configurations from boat to boat. Thanks to all who have chimed in on this topic as it probably saved me a dozen trips out with the "learn on the fly mentality".

Next time i jump on this site i am going to set a fan up in front of the laptop so i can feel the wind in my face to make the learning more realistic.

Have a great week,

Ron

Sep 20, 2016
Hunter 240 Holland, MI
I have a 240 as well.
My approach with 10 knots and a new crew would be to put in the reef and fly 1/2 the jib (assuming you have a roller furler).
If you don't have a roller furler, just fly the reefed main until everyone is comfy with the ride.
She wont go to windward quite as well with main alone, but thats not a big deal for a nice casual "boat ride"
If it seems too sticky, shake out the reef and maybe roll out a bit more jib.
Keep a close eye on the main sail trim, if she starts to heel a bit too much, dont hesitate to ease the main.
If its a bit "puffy", I will often sail with one hand on the tiller and one on the main sheet.
The main concept here is to start small and not scare the crew. You can always power up more.
Better to go slow than to see that tinge of fear in their eyes!
"Tinge", is that a real word?
My $0.02
Happy sailing!