Hunter 23 outboard motor mount

Jul 15, 2009
Hunter 23 Erie, PA
I have a 1990 Hunter 23, and would like to upgrade my original Tohatsu 5hp outboard to a new 4-stroke outboard. Two questions: 1.) Are there any advantages to the 4-stroke (I only burn 2 gallons or so per season) and 2.) Can the original motor mount (which appears to be an L-shaped piece of fiberglass with 4 bolts holding it to the transom) take the extra weight. My original 2-stroke Tohatsu weighs in at about 44 pounds, the new 4-stroke lists at 57 pounds.

Thanks for any help!

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Don't quite follow why would you want to upgrade unless the old two stroke is giving you problems. The cost and additional weight might not be worth it if you only burn around 2 gallons per season. Sales of new, small two stroke engines have been banned in the US so those with weight considerations will be treasuring grandfathered-in two stroke engines. Check the current condition of your motor mount and how much flex it may impart on the boat's transom.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
added weight to the factory outboard may or may not affect your outboard motor bracket. If going to a heavier engine, I would suggest a new bracket be installed but there are two things you would have to do. First you will need to either build or purchase a shim to offset the motor bracket due to the reverse transom on the Hunter 23. Secondly, you will need to beef up inside from the storage locker to include distributing the load of the weight. What you want to do based on the size engine and the fact it is not used that much, stick with what you have and check the bolts (tightening) on that bracket. Benny17441 pretty much said that well.

Jul 15, 2009
Hunter 23 Erie, PA
Thank you Benny and Dave. Yes, the old two stroke is having gas leak problems. I had it repaired 3 years ago (it is 27 years old) for over $400 (two different repair shops). The culprit was, I believe, a leaky fuel pump. It stayed leak free for awhile, but now can drip out 8 oz or more of gasoline in 2 weeks. Visual inspection indicated that the fuel pump is continuing to leak and that there is some kind of leak at the prop. I'm not ready just yet to install a new engine; however another big repair bill is not causing me joy. The decisions I need to make are 1) try another repair, 2)buy a used two stroke if they are out there and 3)buy a new motor, only four stroke engines are now available. One website suggested that a 1990 5hp Tohatsu is worth $450 used.

Jul 15, 2009
Hunter 23 Erie, PA
Crazy Dave, thanks for the steps to update the motor bracket. My original bracket shows some flex when I accelerate the engine or back it down. I have no idea of what the engineering of that bracket may be. I'm guessing fiberglass covered wood core?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Yes. Research the archives here as there is much on that subject of a new bracket but what ever you do, brace inside is a key.

Jul 15, 2009
Hunter 23 Erie, PA
Crazy Dave, I will do some research. Thanks for the guidance. I often read this forum and always look forward to your accurate and insightful replies to all sailboat questions.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
There has been a time or two I was corrected so remember even the ones who know do make mistakes too. I do own up to them. A good example early on telling folks never to lower the mast in the dark and what did I do, made a trip to Florida for a new H 26 mast of course on my nickel.

Oct 3, 2006
Hunter 23 Philadelphia
My 23 had a piece of angle aluminum screwed to the plywood backing plate on the inside, and a second lag-bolted into some plywood stringers epoxied to the hull. between these two pieces were several aluminum strap and bolts. I had a 10 HP motor and would regularly use the motor mount as a swim platform - really sturdy!