Hunter 22 vs. Catalina 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill Pinkstaff

I'm looking at two boats a '81 Catalina and 85 Hunter both 22 ft. Both are in excellant shape. The Hunter has a new Honda 4-stroke 8hp. and newer tandem tralier. Cabin size is a big thing as I'm 6'4" and my wife is tall. This will be my 1st boat and ease of sailing is important, will be sailing on large lake. Looking for opinions on both.

Mar 24, 2005
Catalina 27 Overland Park, KS.
C22 V H22

Well, I am partial to the Hunter, basically because it is heavier and does not have a big hunk of iron for the centerboard. Both boats sail very well, have a nice amount of space for a 22 footer, etc. The V berth on the Hunter is great for a taller guy. You just put your feet toward the front, and there is a ton of room. The real benefit of the Catalina over the Hunter is parts-availability. Catalina does a much better job of supporting older boats than Hunter. Catalina Direct has everything you'll need. It really depends on a lot of factors. Are you going to trailer sail or moor/slip your boat? How heavy and powerful is your tow vehicle? Are you going to weekend aboard, or day sail? Remember to check the specs on weight. The Hunter 22 is 3,200 lbs dry. That's a lot of boat to pull behind a small SUV. But all of that weight sure does come in handy in a chop. I feel, and have heard others say, the Hunter 22 feels like you are sailing a 25 footer. It sure is a pleasure to sail!

B

Bill Pinkstaff

Hunter 22 vs Catalina 22

Thanks for your thoughts, planning on leaving it at the lake moor. I would like to like to tow to other lakes occasionaly. The Hunter does have tamden trailer with ele. brakes and my truck can the 4500 or so. I'm leaning towad the Hunter myself, originally thought the Catalina was the way to go but the more I talk and read I've changed to the Hunter. Going to test drive the Hunter tomorrow. Thanks again for the help

R

Ron

Partial to H22

Having bought an H22 I am partial to it. I had the same deliema of a Hunter or Catalina. H22 is more of a boat, has more freeboard and sails as a bigger boat. Roomy and easy to sail. Hunter also is more of a crusier with its luxuries and ameneties. Havent had problem with parts due to all the after market stuff out there

Jan 2, 2005
Hunter 35.5 Legend Lake Travis-Austin,TX
Hunter

The Honda 4 stroke and the trailer both seem to make this an easy decision to me! Also the displacement, as others have noted, will make it feel like a bigger boat and will add to stability.

J

Jim

Hands down, Hunter 22

The Hunter 22 would be your best choice for roominess, headroom, and comfort.

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
H22

You wouldn't believe the number of Catalina 22 owners that have seen the inside of my Hunter 22 and they couldn't believe the room that I had. The H22 is a great boat. I have had it out for a 14 day trip and encountered 4 foot seas (steep waves) and 25 knots of air on the bow....took it in stride. Definately look at the H22...It will sail circles around the C22 and you have much more room and space!

Mar 21, 2004
Hunter 25.5 Carlyle, IL
H22 vs. C22

(I'm not a fan of swing keels.) The fixed keel version of the H22 is an excellent boat. Big, fast, stiff for its size. Sails great. As an alternative consideration, the H25.5 is a BIG boat compared to either the H22 or C22. Its trailerable, but marginally heavy for your rig, but worth considering. The price is not much higher, but its a lot more boat for the money. The 25.5 has a pop-top that extends headroom to 6'6" though I don't find it necessary and I'm 6'2". A smaller popular trailerable boat is the C25. Its somewhat smaller than the H25.5, but there are a lot around. Also has an "optional" pop-top on most. These larger boats are easy to sail and you won't outgrow them quickly. When looking for a boat to trailer to other locations, consider the difficulty of set-up. That can eat up a LOT of time and be a big chore for the inexperienced.

S

Steve G

Knees in your face.

I had a Helsen before I got my H22. The Helson has the same layout and headroom as the Catalina. Not only will you like the cabin room on the H22 you will like the seating in the cockpit also. The seats on the H22 are higher so your knees are not in your face.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 22 Wichita Ks
Honeyman to Honeyman

I also have a Hunter 22 in Wichita Ks. Love the boat. It has as much room as most 25 footers. It's a tinder boat but sails well. I had a problem pointing to wind but solver the problem by placing 170 lb of weight in the bow. This counters the stern weight and digs the bow into the waves instead of bouncing around. Honeyman of St. Andrew Bay, e-mail me please. My e-mail is icthoney@swbell.net . It's a kik to find someone with the same name and the same boat.

Jun 6, 2004
Hunter 26 Chatfield Reservoir in Denver
I'm tall too...

Bill, I owned a Catalina 22 before getting my H26. (Hobie 16 before that.) I loved how the C22 sailed, trailored, everything about it. It is a great first boat, well rigged and responsive. A great boat to learn to sail on. But.... I'm 6'8" and I couldn't find a place to sit inside except on the Porta-Potty! The pop-top didn't help. The seats at the dinette cut into my back in such a way that even pillows couldn't make it comfortable. So be sure to sit inside each boat for an extended time. Pretend it is raining heavily outside, close it all up and sit in there with company for a while. Kill an hour INSIDE. Then you'll know about that part. I still look wistfully at the C22. She was a sweety. But my wife (and I) love the space in our H26. However, that space comes with its headaches. The analogy for comnparing the handling the two boats would be to imagine parking at a supermarket parking lot in a SUV verses in a small motorhome. One pays with awkwardness and difficulty in docking for the interior space. It is the high freeboard on the H26 that makes it harder to maneuver and control while docking. But it also is what gives us all that space. Hope this helps. Enjoy. Cap'n Jim Grizzly Bear

T

Travis

Im 6'6"

I don't have any expirence with the catalina 22 but I do own a 1982 H22. I'm 6'6" and can lie down in the cockpit seats without any problems. Below there are two births that I can lie down touching my head or feet. When sitting below, I can slide a little more than hand between you head and the cabin liner. I have not been on another 22 foot boat with as much room as the H22.

Status
Not open for further replies.