Hunter 18.5 rudder lower bracket screws pulled-out

Jul 1, 2018
Hunter 18.5 Lake Monroe
I recently acquired a Hunter 18.5, and discovered that the two screws holding the lower bracket for the rudder have pulled out of the transom. Worse yet, I can only fully remove one screw; the other screw just spins as if the nut on the end is spinning with it.
What is the best way to repair this situation? What do these screws thread into? Can I get to the back side of these screws somehow, or is this inaccessible? I suppose that this has happened to a few other owners, so I am hoping to learn from them. The Hunter line of boats are beautiful, so I'm hoping to get this one fixed and sailing again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I don’t know if the back is accessible on an 18.5 but I’m 100% sure @Crazy Dave Condon knows the answer. PM Dave.

BTW rudder brackets are called gudgeons and the pins on the rudder are called pintles

Jul 1, 2018
Hunter 18.5 Lake Monroe
Ah, gudgeons and pintles... thanks. Now hopefully I will hear from Crazy Dave soon.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Look inside on the transom wall. Off no nuts and washers are seen then the bolts are secured to an aluminum bracket encased in the fiberglass which were drilled and tapped. If spinning posssibly stripped.
Either a larger bolt or a longer bolt thru the transom wall secured by a nylon locking nut atop a metal piece vs washer to distribute load