Hunter 170 - Repair Crack(s)

Feb 10, 2018
Hunter 170 DC
Hi,
I've read quite a few posts pertaining to the acp cracking issues common in the smaller Hunter boats of the early 2000's. I'm somewhat handy and have read the proper repair suggestions, but I'm curious if there's a limit to the size a crack may be repairable. I've attached a couple photos showing the largest crack below, so any advice on feasibility of repair would be appreciated. This is by far the largest (length/width) crack on the boat, but there are several others around the cleats and the motor mount will probably need to be completely re-done as well. I read there's backing in the motor mount, but what about the cleats?

In addition to whether this particular is repairable, does anyone know of a reputable dealer/repair shop near Northern VA or Annapolis?

Thanks!

Attachments

Aug 9, 2020
Hunter 170 Burlington, VT
I live in Vermont, have now owned my 2005 170 for six seasons, and knew when I bought it that crack repair would be an annual process. Over the years I have been able to repair many of the cracks permanently, yet some will re-crack every year. I use West GFlex 655-8, bevel the cracks a bit and hit them briefly with a torch for best adhesion. The biggest hassle is grinding down the excess GFlex once it dries to blend in the repair. As far as the size of cracks, I have had hull cracks running nearly the length of the boat plus several from keel to rub rail (and onto topside) and some of my repairs have held for multiple seasons. I am not sure if it is the nature/size of the crack or variability in my technique that has necessitated re-repair but probably the latter as I am repairing less each year. This year I put a big rectangle of fiber cloth (it DID stick!) underneath the bow where multiple cracks join, hoping that that will reinforce the epoxy and prevent re-crack. But as I said, I live in Vermont (cold) and accept that the cracks are a fact of life with the 170. After initially drilling 1/8" holes in my topside cracks I have yet to see them expand in the time I have owned the boat, so I only repair those below waterline. I do have similar (but smaller) cracks near the mast step which I should probably repair as well but they seem to be stable. My biggest issue now (which brought me to join and spend much quality time in these forums) is the stem head and gudgeon screws pulling out, which is apparently a known symptom of rotten wooden backplates inside the hull. UGH!

Good luck to all 170 owners repairing their cracks: this is an awesome little boat made of flawed material but well worth repairing!

Attachments