Hunter 170 mast coating?

Sep 5, 2018
Hunter 170 Northfield, NJ
I have not ventured far into my mast at this point.

I was looking at it a bit and noticed that it appears to be painted with little spots here and there with a light dot of corrosion.

So what is coating the mast if that is the case? Was it coated with paint from the factory? What coating might I best use if I need to recoat anything?

Sep 5, 2018
Hunter 170 Northfield, NJ
I have not looked real close, but mine appears to be glossy like it has a coat of clear paint over anodizing. The sun was on it a bit different, I have it in my large garage, and it really appeared to be a layer of paint on it. It had some depth to the gloss.

My plans are to look close at the groove for the sail. Address any rough spots in friction areas and use product talked about that lubes without leaving any residue, SailKote. When I did a quick test of all the parts before I started work I ran the sail up and found it stuck a lot going up. This being a boat that has not been used in 2 years before I got it.

As always I am just curious to know what I am dealing with on these parts. The more knowledge you have the less likely you make mistakes- I hope.