How to repair the mast foot?

Kia

Feb 24, 2019
Macgregor 26M Saratoga Lake
The plate at the foot of the mast is loose. How do I tighten that up? OR What fix is there for this problem?

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Remove the plate,

check the area for rotten or wet core material - remove if found

Use a 3/16 dremel router bit to remove core material around each hole (you may need to make holes bigger). Your aiming to have a recess under the cabin top

Fill holes with thickened epoxy.

Redrill and slightly chamfer holes

Attach mast base using butyl tape and original fasteners

The goal is to get a solid column of epoxy that is locked in place by the cabin top, so it can’t pull out or leak water into the cabin top

Kia

Feb 24, 2019
Leslie,
Thank you for suggestion. The piece I am referring to is looks like this (sample photo I found on line). The top plate is lose and wobbly. Do you know where/how could I find replacement parts?
In advance thank you for your help,
Kia
upload_2019-2-24_21-19-48.png

Attachments

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Sorry no help there. I’d take it to a machine shop and see if they could tighten it up.

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
Isn't that for one of them there fancy rotating masts?
Does it matter if its wobbly? Whats important is that the mast base
is pinned and the rest is up to the rigging isn't it?

Just wondering in type....

Kia

Feb 24, 2019
I am not sure about the fancy mast but when we purchased the boat it was nice and tight. In a video, it was mentioned that the piece was lose and he had to tighten it up. As you suggested, we make sure mast is rest up right, pinned and all rigging is set correctly. If you don't think it is problem then it is not problem

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Is the nyloc nut snugged down to the point where the top plate can turn but no slop between it and the base plate. I have not seen the mast step in person but I'd say the bottom plate should be secure/firm to the deck and the top should just have enough play to let it rotate.

Lots of M owners on macgregor26x.com but I think there are problems with new people trying to post on the forum there due to old software. Let me know if you need help from there also,

Sumner
==========================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Kia

Feb 24, 2019
Summer,
Thank you for your note. This past year when I took the mast down for winterizing the boat, I noticed the foot plate was rotating very easily and there was slop. I have looked around for repair kit or some kind of manual repair and so far the picture I posted is closest thing I have found. I believe by looking at the picture I could figure out and solve the problem but little reading material and where to purchase the spare parts? In advance thank you for your help.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country