how to fix a crisp dingy cover?

Sep 6, 2015
Unknown snipe delaware bay
So my newest acquisition included a custom boat cover. It is in good shape other than being UV crisp. Can I soak the cover in a tub with fabric soft or some other product to bring it back or is it truly toast? No rips, or whamos, snaps are good, uv and stiff.
Eric

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
I would try spraying a spot with carb cleaner (acetone) as cover may be a PVC derivative. Acetone is generally the curing agent for PVC when made, so may soften it up. Rub with dish soap and flush as soon as you percieve it is flexable. Acetone longer if the spot stiffins. Can it be machine washed? If so, hot water and a good detergent and clean and flex it with the washing machine. If still stiff I would lightly spray it with an oil such as maybe cooking oil. (Plastics is one of my Industrial Degree minors)
Hope this helps. Let us know. Chief

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Stay away from solvents and just try some mild Dawn in warm water and let air dry to see if just accumulated salt and sunburn.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Or take it to an upholstery/canvas place and get a real live opinion on what it's made from.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I've done aging tests, and nothing you try is going to extend the life go 10 minutes.It may look a little better, but it won't gain strength or life. Just use it until it's done in and sew a new one. It's just for protection.

Solvents are only going to reduce the life, like using bleach on cotton.

Sep 6, 2015
Ok so the consensus is to use a mild detergent and soak and wash. No problem I have a 350 gallon tub for just that sort of thing. The reason I asked was that we always soaked our anchor rode in the off season in a tub of water and fabric softner. I will start tomorrow and let you know on progress.
Eric

Sep 6, 2015
So it has been in the wash tub now for 2 days and it is noticeably more pliable. I will give it a good scrubbing with a brush to clean and put back in the tub for a fresh water rinse this weekend. The soup was stirred with a wooden canoe paddle and consisted of a generous helping of orchid fabric softner liberated from the admiral and a splash of dawn dish soap.
Eric